Which Short shifter? Ebay or Forge?

Dodsy

Dec 30, 2012
I bought my eBay short shifter over a year ago, had it on my passat, done 8k on it then sold the car and kept the short shifter, put it on my leon the day I got it and had it on for about 7k now, never had a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Willz17

Jun 27, 2012
South Wales
Do the bushes just make it a bit smoother? I.e by fitting just the short shifter alone, will the gear changes stay as smooth/rough as the standard shifter but it will just be shorter?

The shifting goes a little bit stiffer but to me I feels more secure.
You know exactly what gear your in and less play in the gear stick.
Hope this info helps :)

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I've got

Forge shifters (front to back and side)
42DD bushes
AKS Tuning gearbox bushes

Gives me a very mechanical feel to stiff for some people's liking but I love it

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

Jarre

Dec 9, 2011
Stockton-On-Tees
Thanks for everyone's help. The only thing that concerns me is warranty. It's going in on Friday for a service but I've also asked them to check the clutch pipe. Back in May when I got the car this pipe had come loose and was causing a vibration. I have the same vibration again so I assume it's the same issue. I'd hate to get it fitted tomorrow and then find that they won't fix it because they say the short shifter is linked, and it's not like they'd not know it was there either :(

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
Thanks for everyone's help. The only thing that concerns me is warranty. It's going in on Friday for a service but I've also asked them to check the clutch pipe. Back in May when I got the car this pipe had come loose and was causing a vibration. I have the same vibration again so I assume it's the same issue. I'd hate to get it fitted tomorrow and then find that they won't fix it because they say the short shifter is linked, and it's not like they'd not know it was there either :(

It's such a quick and easy job u could swop them over again when it goes into the garage if u were really worried

markrich

Sep 16, 2012
Stoke
how much travel does it actually take out the length on my cupra from 1st to 2nd and 3rd to 4th I think are long would be great if it cuts inch or so out

nozzy15

Oct 24, 2010
sheffield
I know this is an old thread but I recently bought the eBay short shift mod and I fitted it today, and I love it, bit weird at first but when you get used to it, gear changes are shorter, stiffer and generally feels more solid. Great mod

Seat1.6s

May 14, 2015
Hi all, new to the forum and recently purchased Leon 51 plate 1.6 s would anyone be able to tell if I can get a 5 speed short shifter for it, the help would be appreciated.

richicupra

Jan 29, 2012
Hi all, new to the forum and recently purchased Leon 51 plate 1.6 s would anyone be able to tell if I can get a 5 speed short shifter for it, the help would be appreciated.

Hi and welcome. You would be better posting in the mk1 section :)

Rhygon

Mar 31, 2014
Hello,

Confusion for the bushes, i've just bouught the eBay short shifter, something i've always wanted, but always held out for the ebay one was unknown to me, and i didn't want to pay £70... now have a bit of surplass cash, so thought i'd get it and find theres a cheaper one!

Anyway, 42DD bushings from awesome:

1. _awesomegti.com/car/seat/leon1m/42-draft-designs-brass-shifter-relay-lever-bushings
I'm presuming these are less of an issue, due to how they are used, so not worried about them...

2. _awesomegti.com/42-draft-vw-shifter-bushing-set-mk4-5-6speed-my02-05
Are these the one this forum is talking about?!

3. _awesomegti.com/car/seat/leon1m/42-draft-designs-shifter-bracket-bushings
How many bushings does it take to fit a short shifter?

If anyone could shed some light that would be grand :)!

I am assuming 2. are the ones... at £30, anyone fitted 3. also, any benefit. I'd like to spend only for prominent changes.

Cheers

P.S. I have a 1M 1.8 T Cupra R (2006)

Last edited:

zamzia

Gixer 750 K8
Dec 6, 2010
Newmarket
Hi guys,

Im about to invest in a shortshifter but before i do, i wanted to know a little more info.

Is it really worth spending double the money for Forge? Or is the ebay one just as good?

Ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seat-Leon...CarParts_SM&hash=item4ab629eac1#ht_500wt_1089

Forge: http://www.autops.co.uk/product.asp?catalog=030403&productid=310189&order=&manu=

Let me know
Thanks

As this is such an old thread I emailed the company and they said this item was not suitable for the Mk2!

Rhygon

Mar 31, 2014
I can't believe i've only posted 1 thing.

Umm did you miss my PS, i have a Mk1, umm i think i shall create a new thread, i wonder if i can do that.

UPDATE: Sorry i did not realise this was Mk2 thread, i apologise, i will go elsewhere! Mk1 rules... *runs away*

Cheers

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.