Which Speedtest site.?

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Now this may be a can o worms but having recently changed my broadband/phone package I wanted to check the speed/before I make the “you promised x speed call” , so before I used Ookla but does anyone know better?
Speed is not much below that of the rate promised so thinking it could just be the site I’m using. Ta.

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I use Ookla also for speed tests, are you doing the speed test from a wired device or wireless as the latter may be speed restricted (dependent on if your wireless is G,N,N+,AC etc) if your speed should be high.

Also I think most providers ask for a period of rest once activated (a week I think) before they allow anything to be looked at.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Been using Ookla and both methods, laptop-wired and tablet wireless, installed 2 1/2 weeks ago, will wait till the end of the week before I call, getting 35.5mbps as to promised 37mbps minimum, is it worth calling?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Been using Ookla and both methods, laptop-wired and tablet wireless, installed 2 1/2 weeks ago, will wait till the end of the week before I call, getting 35.5mbps as to promised 37mbps minimum, is it worth calling?
Personally unless you have many people in the house you'd never know the difference between what you have and the minimum is not noticeable in every day life. Do you have any big changes in upload or is it just the download that is lacking?

It wont harm you for asking but they will get you to test all sorts no doubt lol

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Here’s guys, just wondered if it was worth the effort, don’t suppose I’d ever notice that slight difference, so much better then the standard broadband we had before.