Which turbo is better allrounder..?

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
because it's a better alternative to the vf34.If your looking at 400+ i'd go for a fp green or bigger,bill is the man to talk to.

Wilko

Badge snob
Go read scoobynet. On a 2l very few would advise anything over an 18g on a 2l. Loads of history over ther. Vf34 was a scooby turbo after all.

I have got 39lb/min out of the 18g and could get no more than 34lb/min from a vf34. Both wer compresser max not turbine, as shutting the wastegat more didn't increase flow, only exhaust back pressure.

On a smallport, an 18g should hold 1.8bar to 7500. Do you realy want to run more boost than that?

caney

Apr 24, 2005
jay just fit the bloody thing and stop looking for another turbo before you've fitted the ihi:lol: my turbo is a tdo5/20g with a 44lb/min compressor wheel which is laggy but pulls hard to the redline! haven't dynoed mine yet but it ran a 12.8 1/4 and 0-60 in 4secs without nitrous. with that in mind i'm guessing mines pushing circa 400bhp with boost set at 1.6bar.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
not sure whether a 18g can manage 390/400bhp ,wilko is the man to talk to .
I agree with everything he said.

caney

Apr 24, 2005
not sure whether a 18g can manage 390/400bhp ,wilko is the man to talk to .
I agree with everything he said.
lol must agree! the difference between my old vf34 and my new tdo5/20g is this!
DSC00066.jpg

JAY DE

Work in progress....
Apr 4, 2007
Sunny Essex
:) i can't help but prepare for the future :whistle:

i'm just sorting out internals at the same save farting around later on...

It will be ready to go in soon :D

caney

Apr 24, 2005
wow ,a full on tdo6 compressor housing bet that took some fitting!
god yeah! put it this way if either the head or clutch goes it's an engine out job:cry: would of liked to go equal length mani and push the turbo up higher behind the head but couldn't afford it at the time:(anyway hows things with you ryan:)

Ianb

Nov 13, 2003
Nothing wrong with the APR GT28RS unit but it's only 340-350 on 98 RON fuel.

Still makes my car into a very different car from old KO3s days with good early spool from 2-3000rpm....brilliant for 'everyday' use and good on track too!!
Why bother with trying to achieve 400hp unless you are seriously competing like Bill. In a FWD it can become unmaneagable unless you are prepared to beef 'everything' up to cope.

As Wilko and other's will verify it becomes frighteningly expensive. Bill has much experience over the years trying and testing different combinations for road and track and knows what breaks and what doesn't.

For an everyday package with track use in mind I'd turn the wick down and put reliability as my first concern unless you can sustain breakages. Really big turbo's and their installations are an ever evolving development.

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Thats a td06 compressor housing bill,here is a picture of a evo 8 td05 compressor cover and a evo 9 td06 cover.
8vs9676x507.jpg

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
god yeah! put it this way if either the head or clutch goes it's an engine out job:cry: would of liked to go equal length mani and push the turbo up higher behind the head but couldn't afford it at the time:(anyway hows things with you ryan:)

Things are fine mate,sold the s3 and got a evo,quite fancy trying one of those evo fp green's bit like your td05h 20g but based on a evo 9 turbo .

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members