Which Tyres ?

TDI_luver

Jul 11, 2006
Ireland
Hi all,

I just wondered what the consensus among you is about tyre brand and model - I'm not looking for rally stage tyres, just decent replacements for the standard 205/55/16V's.

The factory fits on my '06 Toledo Tdi were Dunlop SP 01, but I hated them to bits for several reasons: poor wet traction (traction control regularly getting involved under acceleration in 1st gear), poor wet braking (ABS getting involved too often), poor wet cornering (too much understeer for comfort), poor tread wear, too much craking / crazing.

Changed the fronts after 18000 miles to Bridgestone Potenza and wow a completely different car to drive ! Potenzas are a very hard rigid tyre, and noisy on rough surfaces (common in Ireland) but wet grip and traction is awesome and wear is good after 10000 miles so far.

Rear axle tyres are now very thin (Original Dunlops) after 28000 miles, thinking of putting on another pair of Potenzas.

Just wondering if anyone else likes or hates the Bridgestones, or has any other suggestions ? I would always rank wet grip as the #1 requirement, ahead of noise, wear and comfort as I prefer to be still alive but hard of hearing.....:think:

Tell

Staff member
Will be interested in the answer.... Honest John always supports the Michelin ones which I've always had / changed to in the past over 250,000 miles of motoring in the past. I'm still on my first set of Bridgestones and getting on for 23,000 miles now. So I have a tendency to change to them unless someone rubbishes them.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Potenzas were standard fit on my last 2 Boras, and they were very good. I always changed to Michelins when they wore out (at about 27k) and they were good aswell.

Bridgestones are worth having in my view.

cherryone

Dec 15, 2006
Just replaced my dunlop sp2000 fronts after 22k this week, i've now got Goodyear F1's on
and they feel good, still going carefully on them though as they've not even done 100 miles yet.

Can thoroughly recommend blackcircles.com though paid 175quid for them both fitted !
(225/45 R17Y for those curious)

Cheers
Mark.

Mike5

recently fitted Michelin Pilot Exalto's. Specified for high grip. Very pleased with the grip much better than the standard fit ones. As they are softer will not last as long as the originals at 30K, but what the hell safer and can have more fun.

Lambfoot

AutoExpress magazine (www.autoexpress.co.uk) do an in-depth tyre test of umpteen different makes with sometimes surprising results. You might be able to get a back number from them.

PDaddy

Aug 22, 2004
Vredestein Ultracs on my 2.0 Tdi (225, 40, 18) Vredestein HiTrac on the wifes 1.8 accord (195, 60 , 15)

Very very good tyres, and at a decent price.

Bidey

Which magazine recomended these and i got them at the prices below
Firestone Firehawk TZ 200 £62.12
Pirelli P7 £83.21

However after my wife shredded one going down the M74 (Gunk stuff NFU) she had no option but to fit what was available at the nearest tyre dealer which was Bridgestone (£87) appears to be doing OK?? tiome will tell.
I agree #1 wet grip then noise as Altea is bad for noise and Japanese tyres tend to be quieter!!
Bidey fae perth

Costantino

recently fitted Michelin Pilot Exalto's. Specified for high grip. Very pleased with the grip much better than the standard fit ones. As they are softer will not last as long as the originals at 30K, but what the hell safer and can have more fun.

Hi,

what about noise level? How many miles have you driven with them. I'm thinking of replacing my tyres with the Michelin Exalto too

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
recently put Michelin Primacy HP's on front to replace Bridgestone Turanza's, lower noise is quite noticeable, not really tested wet/dry grip yet but they seem OK, one thing that's definitely inferior to the Turanza's is the initial turn in of the HP's, you turn the steering wheel and the car is slower to change direction, just not as taught, they just feel a tad mushy/floppy compared.
Most of my mileage is steady motorway journeys's, i feel the Michelin's are better for this, they feel more comfortable (literally feel softer, same tyre pressure !) and have lower noise.

Bidey

Which consumer magazine best buy tyres

Best Buys Michelin Pilot Sport PS 2 (225/45 R17 Y)
Price: £152
Score: 73%
Bridgestone Potenza RE050 A (225/45 R17 Y)
Price: £123
Score: 71%
This tyre offers wet grip that is among the best in this size and balanced overall performance.
Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (185/60 R14H)
Price: £56
Score: 70%
A well balanced tyre with excellent dry and good wet grip.
Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (195/65 R15H)
Price: £72
Good for wet and dry grip, comfort, noise and wear.
Continental SportContact3 (225/45 R17 Y)
Price: £142
Generally good for grip, comfort and noise, but poor for rolling resistance
Pirelli P3000 Energy (175/65 R14T)
Price: £51
A balanced tyre with good grip scores. Very good wear rate, too.
BFGoodrich G-Force Profiler (225/45 R17 Y)
Price: £113
Score: 68%
This tyre is very good on dry roads, though it's a little weaker in the wet, particularly for resisting aquaplaning. It gets a good environmental rating.
Bridgestone Turanza ER300 (205/55R16V)
Price: £79
The Best Buy 205/55R16V Bridgestone Turanza ER300 is a balanced performer, with excellent dry grip.

It wears quite well but is noisy. It is fitted to various medium and large cars
Continental EcoContact3 (155/70R13T)
Price: £40
The Best Buy 155/70R13T ContiEcoContact 3 is the best tyre in this size and is fitted to various models of supermini and city car. It achieved four-star ratings in every performance category apart from noise, and even here it doesn't disgrace.

It isn't the best for its polyaromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), but it's far from being the worst either.
Michelin Primacy HP (205/55R16V)
Price: £86
The Best Buy 205/55R16V Michelin Primacy HP hugs the road, wears really well and gives long life.

It's not a cheap choice, as this brand commands a premium price - but it is widely available with nearly eighty per cent of retailers stocking it, so there may be scope to play them off against each other on price.
Pirelli P7 (205/55R16V)
Price: £76
The Best Buy 205/55R16V Pirelli P7, is a hard-wearing tyre with great wet road performance. While dry braking isn't the best on test, it does stop you effectively.

It is fitted to various medium and large cars.
Pirelli Pzero Nero (225/45 R17 Y)
Price: £141
A good performer on wet or dry roads. Let down by its poor wear rate.
Continental EcoContact3 (165/70 R14T)
Price: £50
Score: 67%
Highly balanced tyre with excellent wet grip and good dry grip.
Continental EcoContact3 (175/65 R14T)
Price: £52
Good on wet and dry roads and acceptable or better in other areas.
Continental Premium Contact2 (205/55R16V)
Price: £82
Best Buy 205/55R16V ContiPremium Contact2 tyres grip really well, and dry handling is second to none.

They are fairly quiet and the Eco-rating isn't bad either.
Bridgestone B 330 Evo (165/70 R14T)
Price: £55
Score: 66%
Well-balanced tyre with excellent wet grip and good dry grip.
Goodyear Hydragrip (195/65 R15H)
Price: £68
A well-balanced tyre, just slightly weaker for wear than the rest of its performance.
Hankook Optimo K715 (155/70R13T)
Price: £30
The Best Buy 155/70R13T Hankook Optimo K715's long life and low price make it the Best Value model in this size.

The tyre can't match the ContiEco Contact 3's road grip, but it's a good all-round performer.
Fulda Carat Progresso (205/55R16V)
Price: £65
Score: 65%
Best Buy 205/55R16V Fulda Carat Progresso tyres can be fitted to various medium and large cars. It doesn't match the best on test for grip, but is none the less a pretty good tyre.

It matches the best on test for long-lasting wear and combining this with its ultra-low price, it is the Best Value tyre in this size.
Michelin Energy E3A (165/70 R14T)
Well-balanced tyre with excellent wet grip and good dry grip.
Pirelli P3000 Energy (155/70R13T)
Price: £37
Pirelli's Best Buy 155/70R13T P3000 Energy is another high performer with sound handling, good wet grip and pretty reasonable wear.

It is fitted to various models of supermini and city car.
Pirelli P6 (185/60 R14H)
Price: £54
Competes well for grip and wear, though slightly below the top ratings for dry braking.

Pirelli has a way to go towards meeting the new environmental requirements with this tyre.
Uniroyal Rallye 550 (205/55R16V)
Price: £73
The Best Buy 205/55R16V Uniroyal Rallye 550 is a consistent four-star performer for grip.

It's quiet, but won't last as long as the best in this test. It is fitted to various medium and large cars.
Bridgestone B250 (155/70R13T)
Price: £37
Score: 64%
The Best Buy 155/70R13T Bridgestone B250 is fitted to various models of supermini and city car. It does as well as the best on test in the dry, though not quite for wet braking.

It won't give you as many miles wear as the very best either, but overall performance is still good. The tyre has a good Eco rating and we found it available in around one third of outlets, including national chains, regional independents and local retailers.
Dunlop SP 30 (155/70R13T)
Price: £36
The Best Buy 155/70R13T Dunlop SP 30 is the quietest tyre we tested in this size. It wears well but is relatively weak for wet grip in bends.

The tyre is fitted to various models of supermini and city car.
Vredestein Sportrac3 (205/55R16V)
Price: £68
The Best Buy 205/55R16V Vedrestein Sportrac3 has no major weaknesses - apart from the fact that we found no national retailer stocking it - only local and regional independents.

It's slightly noisier than the best in the batch. It is fitted to various medium and large cars.
Continental EcoContact3 (185/60 R14H)
Price: £58
Score: 63%
Handles really well in the dry, and it's good at holding on to a bend in the wet.

Not quite as resistant to aquaplaning in a straight line. Good environmental rating.
Hankook Ventus Prime K105 (205/55R16V)
Score: 62%
The Best Buy 205/55R16V Hankook Ventus Prime K105 performs competitively, with balanced grip, wet and dry.

It won't give the mileage of best wearing tyres, but Hankook seems to be up with competitors on its Eco rating. It is fitted to various medium and large cars.

jtmac

Auto Express Tyre Guiide

AutoExpress magazine (www.autoexpress.co.uk) do an in-depth tyre test of umpteen different makes with sometimes surprising results. You might be able to get a back number from them.

I got the tyre guide as a PDF when I subscribed to £1 trial subscrition on the auto express website.

well worth £1 for the PDF and next three issue delivered.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.