Which way round is the right way round for dump valves

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Been running mine reversed for ages now, works better that way for me, been on the rollers a few times with DV both ways and no power loss or loss of boost when reversed - sounds SO much better too (through my AEM CAI!).

I was just reading the 2.7l Bi-turbo self study guide and cam across an interesting passage regarding the measurment of air mass and charge prssure.

For safety reasons, the engine in the biturbo regulates the charge pressure, and not the air mass as is the case with the 1.8-litre 4-cylinder turbocharged engine.

So does this mean the 1.8T is unsafe ? :confused:

El Dingo

Jun 8, 2003
Norfolk
Originally posted by LDoR
I was just reading the 2.7l Bi-turbo self study guide and cam across an interesting passage regarding the measurment of air mass and charge prssure.

So does this mean the 1.8T is unsafe ? :confused:

This is to prevent uneven fuelling - the bi-turbo (V6) has two inlets that could be unevenly fuelled if using unregulated air mass metering and boost to each turbo. (It's like running two linked 3 cylinder engines, and one pushing harder than the other.)

The 1.8T has only one inlet/manifold, so the boost can be regulated by a simple spring regulated actuator and fuelling and actuator control by air mass.

Does this make sense, or am I waffling?:cheers:

El Dingo

Jun 8, 2003
Norfolk
Originally posted by LDoR
I think so, but in the diagrams it shows both pipes coming from the turbo/intercoolers merging into one inlet manifold

Ah, I'm wrong then. However, they would still want to balance the boost and fuelling if it was a common manifold, so the turbos don't fight each other. I thought the V6 bi-turbo must have a split manifold, however, my V6 non-turbo doesn't (and uses air mass metering).

So, sorry, I can't shed any light on it without asking Audi or doing an internet search - ETKA diagrams might shed some light...

:cheers:

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
Has anyone got any pictures of a 007p fitted to a 20vT so i can compair mine - it makes a whistle sound, nothing like a wooossh like atmos ones, but a whistle is deffo there. This makes me think its fitted 'backwards' and i think i'd rather it was fitted 'correctly' (not sayin reverse is wrong!)
Mark

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Here's two. 007P fitted the normal way round:

dv07.jpg

And reversed:

apil11.jpg

Clearer diagram, hope this helps:

forge_rev.jpg

Copra

Used To Be "mk4polo"
Feb 7, 2003
Hampshire
Visit site
Top Man!

great - cheers.
ill check mine tomorrow.
although your sure yours didnt loose power when fitted in the reversed direction?
Mark

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Yeah, I did a write up on installing a boost gauge, that's why it's circled. I have been running mine reversed for around 8 months now and have experienced ZERO loss of boost or performance, confirmed by rolling road tests and my boost gauge.

My car seems to run better and idle smoother when it's reversed.