Whining noise Cupra R

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
Hello all, hope you can help. I have a whining noise coming from the aux belt area. I hear it most at high revs in 1st and 2nd gear, in the higher gears it's not so noticeable. It is also audible with the car stationary, in neutral, even when the revs are built slowly to avoid spoiling the turbo.

Any thoughts on likely causes? Had New belt and pulpy fitted about 6 months ago for another reason. The noise was there prior to that too.

Thanks
Dave

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
A new pully, or do you mean tensioner? I would have said the noise was a dodgy pully as you have already changed the belt! Most likely a/c pump or alternator. Or tensioner if you didn't change that with the belt.

jt20vt

Sep 17, 2010
Agree with Slim, also there are two tensioners to replace when doing the Cambelt.

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
Thanks for the replies. The tensioner was replaced with the belt. Any easy way to diagnose if it's the alternator or a/c pump???

SlimsLCR

Jul 16, 2014
Northern Ireland
Firstly take the aux belt off completely and start the engine for 15-30 seconds, if the noise is gone then you will know its related to one of them, as for diagnosing which one you could try spinning them by hand for noise or any excessive play im honestly not sure! But if you search the forum im pretty sure there are other threads for the same problem your experiencing! You might find an answer there!

Dave_c85

Dec 1, 2013
Thanks. Tried searching but nothing came up specifically. Will give it another go.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise