crying_boy

Jan 8, 2006
Portugal
Interesting that it has a cast manifold crying_boy. Will it bolt straight in engine or will it require modification?

EDIT: Have you gone for strong rods and pistons? Your going to need it with a 2260VK.

Love this project :)

friend did not realize, you were referring to the 22 or 20?

Only at the end of the week, should I get 22 then I will adapt as it is adapted to 20.

the photos of 20vk are as he is currently mounted, the photos show the turbo ready to mount the engine. I used an exhaust manifold of a 17VA welded directly to the turbo in a certain position for not hitting anything in the engine compartment, the turbo oil line was made to measure to be compatible with the source 17VB,is also an adapter welded on admission to use the original tube of 17VB, so the turbo is ready to be set up like the original one that was there.

on the internal engine for now I will not modify these components, because the power levels I want, do not require even that ... I just want to make it a little spicier than what the engine already was.

I will have to adapt is part of the downpipe from my exhaust line, because of the turbo exhaust flange, since the exhaust line I was already more than enough, 70mm stainless steel, all of it done by hand without bending, but using curves the same extent as they were cut and welded to ensure all the same internal diameter throughout the line, using 2 pans in stainless steel exhaust craft also with the same diameter, one at the site of a catalyst and the site of the original pot final.

thank you, my in comparison with yours, is nothing ... your yes, it's a nice project ....

I apologize for my English but I have to use online translator, because I do not have the language domain how wish I had.

Suti

Hi to Portugal,

Great car, great work,

btw What do you think about Quaresma :) He is in Istanbul now

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
friend did not realize, you were referring to the 22 or 20?
I am refering to the GT2260VK. :)

the photos of 20vk are as he is currently mounted, the photos show the turbo ready to mount the engine. I used an exhaust manifold of a 17VA welded directly to the turbo in a certain position for not hitting anything in the engine compartment, the turbo oil line was made to measure to be compatible with the source 17VB,is also an adapter welded on admission to use the original tube of 17VB, so the turbo is ready to be set up like the original one that was there.
You have to be very careful when using the OEM cast manifold as the EMP and EGTs will be massively high for a turbo of that size.

on the internal engine for now I will not modify these components, because the power levels I want, do not require even that ... I just want to make it a little spicier than what the engine already was.
With your current turbo you should be seeing near 230-240bhp with a good tune. If your aiming higher than this, for example, 250-260bhp then you will definately need to consider uprated rods at the very least. Injectors will also be a limiting factor also as they are already at their limit.
I will have to adapt is part of the downpipe from my exhaust line, because of the turbo exhaust flange, since the exhaust line I was already more than enough, 70mm stainless steel, all of it done by hand without bending, but using curves the same extent as they were cut and welded to ensure all the same internal diameter throughout the line, using 2 pans in stainless steel exhaust craft also with the same diameter, one at the site of a catalyst and the site of the original pot final.
I would definately do a 3" all the way to help with the EGTs.
thank you, my in comparison with yours, is nothing ... your yes, it's a nice project ....
Thanks mate but yours is very unique and amazing.

I apologize for my English but I have to use online translator, because I do not have the language domain how wish I had.
I understand you perfectly!

crying_boy

Jan 8, 2006
Portugal
I am refering to the GT2260VK. :)

ok, so I think I answered the question, if you still have any questions ask, I will answer.

You have to be very careful when using the OEM cast manifold as the EMP and EGTs will be massively high for a turbo of that size.

yes, when it prepared the turbo was all taken into attention, nothing was done at random!
not to let EGT'S high, was made the exhaust line to measure total 70mm stainless steel, even though the output of the turbo less, since it is only 63.5mm.
but there's no danger in this, as part of the electronics of the ECU, this work is delivered to a person in full confidence, not being exaggerated anything material, that thou mayest see, this turbo has been doing just 1.8bar, when you could be doing 2.0 without problems. reliability above all.

With your current turbo you should be seeing near 230-240bhp with a good tune. If your aiming higher than this, for example, 250-260bhp then you will definately need to consider uprated rods at the very least. Injectors will also be a limiting factor also as they are already at their limit.

yes, it could have more than 250hp and with great torque, but as I said before, I'd rather have reliability then became a little less, and wanting a little more is that now it will replace the turbo for a 22.
about the internal engine, we know that they can take up the 280 without problems. : P so far above that think to change pistons and connecting rods, but for me I do not go there, at the risk of being being repetitive, I prefer less power and reliability.
about the injectors, it would be exchanged for a "FB" RACE 783, but will not be necessary, the original stand up well so far, will be finally assembled and the oil cooler (which should have been mounted in more time, I was lazy. ..) And already I am thinking of putting a better IC, with greater air capacity and cooling.

I would definately do a 3" all the way to help with the EGTs.

3 "is equivalent to how many mm's?
I think 70mm is already more than enough. and being in the material that is, drain well and cool the gas well, not to mention the sound, beautiful sound ....
but this turbo (22), I will not use the original collector, will be used one of GTD, which internally is larger, has higher throughput exhaustion, and yet to be worked will do the job well!keeping the EGT'S controlled. still thought to have manufactured tubular collectors independent, but was tested in bench and power on the road, and the log's not indicate significant improvements to justify the enormous price they would cost.

rk005.jpg

rk005.jpg

rk004.jpg

Here is an example, built here in Portugal, since many people use it here, but I prefer the old and effective GTD. including the owner of this turbo and collectors at this time is not already using these collectors, but one of GTD worked internally! and why would that be?
:whistle::rolleyes:
the evolution of it here:

Thanks mate but yours is very unique and amazing.
but yours is a level far above my .... that's what I think.

I understand you perfectly!
fortunately, as it tricky to talk about technical terms we use here in Portugal, which then can not be translated properly.

p.s. - sorry I made a will here, but wanted to answer as best I could to all questions.
:happy:

Last edited:

crying_boy

Jan 8, 2006
Portugal
Hi,

Great car you have!
question; Why would you want to cool the diesel? As far as I know diesel get thicker when cooled, so logically gets thinner when warm right?

thanks!

among many reasons, with this kind of preparation will be required more diesel, will increase pressure then temperatures will rise, and this may cause safe mode in the car for over temperature, keeping the temperature of diesel under control is always the best thing, either for reliability or for extraction of power.
but there are more reasons, and not just for this, but I'd rather not comment on it and talk about it complicated and can be poorly translated and write nonsense.
:D:whistle:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I think you taken everything into account. Good choice of turbo and injectors for the sort of power you are after. In future, if you want to aim for 300bhp your going to need Firad injectors. ;)

crying_boy

Jan 8, 2006
Portugal
I think you taken everything into account. Good choice of turbo and injectors for the sort of power you are after. In future, if you want to aim for 300bhp your going to need Firad injectors. ;)

I will not even mount the fratelli Bosio, the originals are enough for what I want. in the future if I want to extend a few more levels in power, oh yes, I put the injectors, but fratelli Bosio, never the firard ...
I do not have a good picture of them. I know that fratelli Bosio are of very good quality already firard has been questioned their quality, because the important thing is not the quantity aka capacity but maintain a good spray,but the optimization of spray they have.

has already been tested (whether on the road or dynos ) by several friends who had firard and exchanged by Bosio.

There are several TDI cars here in Portugal with 300hp and even more, and mostly uses FB R 783.
just who takes the option "price" is picking firard (being here the firard are much cheaper than the BOSIO, nearly half the price)
but if the FB were cheaper they would have placed them.

and one of the reasons is the ignition ... to put the engine running behaves like the original, now with the firard the car takes longer to start, behaves as if it were very cold, having trouble starting and no one gets to work right, gets up and down the working of the engine rpm's. :confused:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
I will not even mount the fratelli Bosio, the originals are enough for what I want. in the future if I want to extend a few more levels in power, oh yes, I put the injectors, but fratelli Bosio, never the firard ...
I do not have a good picture of them. I know that fratelli Bosio are of very good quality already firard has been questioned their quality, because the important thing is not the quantity aka capacity but maintain a good spray,but the optimization of spray they have.

has already been tested (whether on the road or dynos ) by several friends who had firard and exchanged by Bosio.

There are several TDI cars here in Portugal with 300hp and even more, and mostly uses FB R 783.
just who takes the option "price" is picking firard (being here the firard are much cheaper than the BOSIO, nearly half the price)
but if the FB were cheaper they would have placed them.

and one of the reasons is the ignition ... to put the engine running behaves like the original, now with the firard the car takes longer to start, behaves as if it were very cold, having trouble starting and no one gets to work right, gets up and down the working of the engine rpm's. :confused:
If you take the injector maximum to be 220BHP (I think it is more however in the TDI world this is the general figure everyone gives) the Bosio 783 injectors only give you around 20-25% more than the 150PDs, giving you approx 260bhp. With a really good tuner you might be able to squeeze another 10bhp more to make a genuine 270bhp.

If we take into account the way the diesel engine works (done a bit of reading on this of late). For the lower end of the rev range / speed which needs lower injection quantities, for the combustion process to be efficient you need the smallest injectors possible to keep the injection windows open for as long as possible within the amount of torque you want to create without injecting to much in.

So as you said the spray pattern is very important. However to reach your peak power over a decent rev range like 2000-3500 then the injection quantity needs to be much more to make the power. The downside is that the lower end of the range is lumpy with the bigger injectors.

SO yes its probably a good idea to keep the 150PD injectors but your power increase wont be as much as you think its going to be. If you want 30BHP more then i think you will need the 783s in.

crying_boy

Jan 8, 2006
Portugal
If you take the injector maximum to be 220BHP (I think it is more however in the TDI world this is the general figure everyone gives) the Bosio 783 injectors only give you around 20-25% more than the 150PDs, giving you approx 260bhp. With a really good tuner you might be able to squeeze another 10bhp more to make a genuine 270bhp.

If we take into account the way the diesel engine works (done a bit of reading on this of late). For the lower end of the rev range / speed which needs lower injection quantities, for the combustion process to be efficient you need the smallest injectors possible to keep the injection windows open for as long as possible within the amount of torque you want to create without injecting to much in.

So as you said the spray pattern is very important. However to reach your peak power over a decent rev range like 2000-3500 then the injection quantity needs to be much more to make the power. The downside is that the lower end of the range is lumpy with the bigger injectors.

SO yes its probably a good idea to keep the 150PD injectors but your power increase wont be as much as you think its going to be. If you want 30BHP more then i think you will need the 783s in.

I could not explain, even though I wanted to share technical and theoretical of electronics in my car, I can only say that there are many things in the world that TDI has no explanation. the amount of power that can make a good electronics is extraordinary.
in my team, there is a ibiza 130 with just exhaust line direct ic seatsport XXX and a turbo (made by my team just for members only) than in MAHA debited more than 290hp, with the original car injectors.
You can not believe but it's reality, with a good turbo and good electronics, performs miracles, but of course, that the reliability was ..... none... :rolleyes:

there are some videos of teammates and his great preparations ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWAW0U42FE
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNZWyAfpfIs&feature=related
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkqMhGRvmVY
the last:
here's a video of a ibiza, only with turbo MB POWER ic seatsport and exhaust line and electronics of my team, and already has a few years the video ... now the turbo is more evolved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k7YIY2WnyE&feature=related

and best of all the cars of my team, long known stronger TDI ... notices that the video was already in 2007 ..... and the car continued to evolve ever until last year when the owner passed away unfortunately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll2H_1bgvjQ
-
ibiza MB POWER (VZ) aka POLINI

crying_boy

Jan 8, 2006
Portugal
BMW GT2260VK finally arrived ..... :funk:
going to start preparing to put in place. :drool:

sorry about the picture quality, but was taken by mobile phone, but did not have a camera around, but is also just to be already have a picture of him before, to see the final work later.
I hope I can prepare everything in the turbo and accessories for next month already thinking about setting up power.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members