white smoke and no power

tomatkinson

Hey jus got a mk1 seat leon tdi 110 and when I start it up occasionally it has a lot of white smoke from exhaust and doesn't really have any power, turn off engine and give it a minute and start it up works fine. I put some redex in it and gave it a gd 200 mile run as its been sittin for about a month. Kinda hoping it not serious but sounds it

tomatkinson

Not mechanically minded so worth changing the oil c if it improves and worth putting it on vagcom c if it finds anything

G223

Dec 6, 2007
white smoke is unburnt diesel mate, blue is burning oil and black is rich on burnt diesel, white smoke on startup is nothing to worry about, if it does it while running then its something to look into

tomatkinson

Jus had it checked using vagcom and it couldn't find anything so changed air filter but mate said the turbo seems rather loud compaired to what it should be

coolypops

Tastes like chicken
Feb 14, 2009
The Emerald Isle
you'll get white smoke if you have a boost leak but that should be constant.

When my first MAF sensor was dodgy it sometimes gave white smoke at startup but was fine 99% of the time...

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
you'll get white smoke if you have a boost leak but that should be constant.

You will definatley not get white smoke if you have a boost leak, boost leaks cause over-fuelling which creates soot, which is black.

White smoke is either one of three things;

Oil escaping into the cylinder, probably form the rings or valve seals

Coolant entering the cylinders through one of many places

or

On start up water vapour has built up within the cylinder and is then expelled from the exhaust as steam.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
You will definatley not get white smoke if you have a boost leak, boost leaks cause over-fuelling which creates soot, which is black.

or

On start up water vapour has built up within the cylinder and is then expelled from the exhaust as steam.

Or the turbo seals?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex

or

OR

- VNT mechanism not configured correctly.
- Injection duration is too long if its been remapped
- Faulty n75

Last edited:

coolypops

Tastes like chicken
Feb 14, 2009
The Emerald Isle
sry :doh:

but i defiantly got white smoke and performance issues when my MAF went bad (and the engine started hunting)...

it stopped as soon as i changed the MAF

tomatkinson

it seems to be running alot beta now havent really done anything expect give it a bit of a rag, thinkin that as it stood for least 6 weeks it was just alot of water vapour as its pretty much not doing it any more but gettin cambelt done and i'll get them to check turbo to make sure it ok and if they can find any problems

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members