whole paintwork ruined by morons, quick advise needed

silles

May 4, 2017
long story sort, the maintenance company of my flat was/is doing some drilling, loads of dust
they did not cover my car, instead they tried to wipe it after. At last that's what it looks like on the bonnet and the side of the car.

20181015_181018.jpg

Car is/was brand new Cupra 300 and it was mind condition.

Need advice what to do? Full polish? and how much is that?
also do I have any change to get this paid by the maintenance company?

Last edited:

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
They should have public liability insurance. Get them to admit fault, then get them to pay for whatever it needs doing.

I agree. They should have asked you as a minimum to move the car. And as they didn’t and then thought it was a good idea to try and remove the dust etc, they have caused the damage. Get them to pay for it but get a quote in what needs doing yourself from someone you can guarantee will do the job correctly.

Sorry for your pain. I’d be livid and would have gone banana’s.

Reactions: xyz

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
^ what he said.
A decent detailer could almost certainly rectify that mess. A respected company local to me charges £300 to £500 which includes ceramic coating after the correction work is done.

silles

May 4, 2017
yeah utterly p!ssed right now ...

Could anyone recommend a mobile polishing service near London?

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Yeah, they should definitely cover the cost of correction.

It’s really frustrating when people do this, the either ask you to move it or tell you after it’s dusty, they should never touch it.

£300-£500 is about the going rate for a full correction, the latter would include ceramic protection but they may not be willing to pay for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I would have been furious if anyone had done that to my car.

It’s difficult to tell from the pictures, but although the scratching is very extensive, it does look to be light surface scratching that a good professional detailer (or good amateur detailing enthusiast with the appropriate polishing gear) should be able to easily correct and remove completely.

However..............if there are deeper scratches that you can ‘catch’ if you run a fingernail across them, it might not be possible to polish these out completely - in which case you may also be looking at new paintwork, which increases the cost of getting your car back to the previous new/mint condition.

In the first instance, I’d be seeking the advice of a good reputable detailer, getting a quote for the work to be done, and presenting the quote to the maintenance company who caused the damage.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Gutted for you. To get it to look as it should again, I'd find a place where you can take it that does a 2 stage machine polish and expect to leave it there for a few days. Frustrating, but don't rush it and make the situation worse.

walshy

Jan 27, 2016
North West, UK
long story sort, the maintenance company of my flat was/is doing some drilling, loads of dust
they did not cover my car, instead they tried to wipe it after. At last that's what it looks like on the bonnet and the side of the car.

View attachment 2172

Car is/was brand new Cupra 300 and it was mind condition.

Here are some more photos ( not for the faint hearted )

https://photos.app.goo.gl/GwkDgXv6sPTyqZoKA

Need advice what to do? Full polish? and how much is that?
also do I have any change to get this paid by the maintenance company?

Be careful with that link mate, it reveals the location of your car as the photos still have their EXIF data might want to sort that

xyz

Feb 28, 2004
oxford
Visit site
Did you get any pictures of the car covered in all the dust? Hopefully, they’ll ‘fess up in which case, they should cover the costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

silles

May 4, 2017
Did you get any pictures of the car covered in all the dust? Hopefully, they’ll ‘fess up in which case, they should cover the costs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
yeah i did, just had to remove the link from the post.

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I'd be getting it booked in for a proper detail and getting them to pay for it. I'd be mega pi$$ed if it were mine. Hope you get it sorted mate, keep us all posted.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

AshCupra300

Sep 16, 2006
Newport, South Wales
believe me I'm so pi$$$ed now

anyone used something like this: https://www.prideshine.co.uk/car_Polishe ? £200 for a full polish and wax does not seem that bad

Not heard of that, I use a pro detailing company here in South Wales and they do a basic paint correction for around £150-£200 and it takes 4 hours.
Whether a basic or full paint correction is needed will depend on how deep the scratches are.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I’d suspect, without having seen it first hand, you’d need a 2 stage polish one with compound the second with polish, the first is much more aggressive and will be the only thing that removes the scratches really, while most polishes are abrasive they also fill so you get a masked effect that will wear off.

It’d be better to get a 2 stage polish than a polish and wax in my opinion.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I’d suspect, without having seen it first hand, you’d need a 2 stage polish one with compound the second with polish, the first is much more aggressive and will be the only thing that removes the scratches really, while most polishes are abrasive they also fill so you get a masked effect that will wear off.

It’d be better to get a 2 stage polish than a polish and wax in my opinion.

@Sharpy; agree. A 2 stage polish will be needed to get paintwork back to its pre-damaged condition. They’ll also carry out a full decontamination and safe wash process before polishing, followed up by applying a sealant or wax. A good detailer would probably need the car for a couple of days to do the work (I’ve done a 2 stage machine polish on my car, and it took me 2-3 days).

A quick surf of the net, and many detailers are quoting £600+ for a 2 stage correction polish, so it’s important that the OP gets some quotes to present to the maintenance company in advance, rather than agreeing to accept a lower amount (say, £200-£300) before finding out what the cost will be to rectify the damage.