why cnt u say **?

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
OK, were starting to go around in circles now using the same broken record.

If you have an issue with the decision of removing text speak, please contact one of the Admin Team (M0rk, Zboyd, Saul, me, Syphon).

We want to keep the quality on the forum thats kept it going for the last 7 years.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
TBH (to be honest) i think its pathetic. This is one of the least engaging forums im a member of, infact i have never really felt a proper member i still feel like a guest, hence the low post count as opposed to my high post count on other forums. This txt (text) filter nonsense is yet a nother reason to visit less often. Abriviations are a fact of life FFS (for f***S sake). Get over it. I hate the trend for dropping the letter T on radio and TV but i have to live with it. Also for those who can not touch type txt (text) type is a way of getting thoughts down quicker. Yess i also get annoyed by certain abbriviations suc as *** (what) among others.:headhurt:

You need to engage to be engaged i find. We have since day one concentrated on being informative. Not just a chat forum. If its too high brow for you, then I am not sure we can do much to engage you.

But as its doesn't cost you anything not sure why it matters. :confused:

Were not out to take over the world, or be the worlds biggest and best SEAT forum. You make the most of it or least of it, as you see fit as a member.

If you want to pop in and get the info you want then leave, that's fine. If you want to be more involved and more sociable then thats fine also. Not sure why we should go out of our way to make your experience any more 'engaging'.

We the admins run this for our enjoyment as well as everyone else's. Once it fails to be an enjoyable experience for us then it becomes a chore! We're here for the fun and banter and for the information and knowledge too, if that means we tailor the site and forums to our rules, then that's our prerogative to do so.

Abbreviations are fine, but some txt spk posts are down right illegiable. Maybe we just expect to much from some peoples level of education. Which is a sad reflection of the country's state of education. :confused:

HarveyGTI

There you go.

Z took the trouble to reply to you, even though you'd deleted your post. SCN goes that little bit further. :yes: I'm astonished that someone cannot find something 'engaging' here! :shrug:

perhaps I was first a little annoyed about this whole txt speak...tend to react before i think

but to say this site is not engaging is dam right out of order. In terms of a technical site its fantastic, and its great to chat to others who share the same enthusiasm and its nice to meet others on the forums through the organised meets etc.....even reading up on Seats which are a diff model to mine is interesting and seeing others enthusiasm for their cars is great

if you dont find this site engaging, its simple and as Mork said "jog on"

HarveyGTI

sorry that was not aimed at dpj, it was aimed at blue monday lol :)

For my 2p's worth i think it is pathetic, you'd be better concetrating on creating a stronger community. I have a very low post count on here in comparison to many other forums. SCN has never felt like a communtiy to me and with txt filter your concentrating on the wrong thing and becoming more like the seat enthusiast forum and we al know thats a pants site run by a dictator and moderators that refuses to allow people to have an opinion that is different to there's.

When ever i pop by (usually daily) to see if theres an interesting car or general chit chat going on i often find a lack of intreasting or new threads, so i don't feel a part of SCN on the whole. Don't get me wrong there is usfull info on here if you seach hard but still a lack of community.

So FFS (for F**ks Sake) get over it, accept that people use Txt talk, some of which even i find anoying, *** (what) for example winds me up i hate it but things like *** (i've) should not be a prob poblem, that is just pathetically petty. The txt filter may discourage some people to post, but discouraging me the most is the lack of comunity feel as outlined above. There need to be more banter and general chit chat threads. That helps a community grow and stick together. Anyway of to vagweb.co.uk & tdisport.com now.

Last edited:

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
There need to be more banter and general chit chat threads. That helps a community grow and stick together. Anyway of to vagweb.co.uk & tdisport.com now.

lol, you think we've run this for 7 years, and are one of the largest 'useful' car forums in the UK - and don't know how to 'create a site'

it's an information resource, not a site for pointless chat - and it's the quality we're protecting.

If we 'loose' people that are unable to hold conversations in english, but retain the useful people (which then attract new users/viewers) then so be it.

We did some dross clearing out a while back by enforcing some 'good behaivour' - this is no different

FYI, if you can't be assed to type properly, check out this forum that really is appaulling

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
When ever i pop by (usually daily) to see if theres an interesting car or general chit chat going on i often find a lack of intreasting or new threads, so i don't feel a part of SCN on the whole.

Maybe you're reading the wrong forum sections. I always pop by to check the forum expecting it to take 2 mins...............and end up being stuck on here all day. Maybe that its just the mk4 section that's rubbish; maybe you should of got a mk2 :lol:. And personally if I don't see an interesting thread then I go and make one :funk:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
If we 'loose' people that are unable to hold conversations in english

Shouldn't that be... "If we 'lose' people that are unable to hold conversations in English"?

Sorry, I would get my coat, but it's too warm out there. :runaway: :hide:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
For my 2p's worth i think it is pathetic, you'd be better concetrating on creating a stronger community. I have a very low post count on here in comparison to many other forums. SCN has never felt like a communtiy to me and with txt filter your concentrating on the wrong thing and becoming more like the seat enthusiast forum and we al know thats a pants site run by a dictator and moderators that refuses to allow people to have an opinion that is different to there's.

When ever i pop by (usually daily) to see if theres an interesting car or general chit chat going on i often find a lack of intreasting or new threads, so i don't feel a part of SCN on the whole. Don't get me wrong there is usfull info on here if you seach hard but still a lack of community.

So FFS (for F**ks Sake) get over it, accept that people use Txt talk, some of which even i find anoying, *** (what) for example winds me up i hate it but things like *** (i've) should not be a prob poblem, that is just pathetically petty. The txt filter may discourage some people to post, but discouraging me the most is the lack of comunity feel as outlined above. There need to be more banter and general chit chat threads. That helps a community grow and stick together. Anyway of to vagweb.co.uk & tdisport.com now.

I think if it was the other site, we'd of banned you and then sent you an email of abuse. However that's your opinion, im not going to argue with you over it. If you can't see anything of interest to you that's your problem not ours. :)

HarveyGTI

and indeed if you cant see any interest, then why bother browsing this forum?

if you have nothing good to say, or this site is not to your taste, then its quite simple - dont use it and find another forum which is of use to you

why carry on slating this site, you are of course entitled to your opinions as much as the rest of us, you have made your point and we have made ours, perhaps put this one to bed now, before it gets out of hand?

EssexIbiza1985

Oct 18, 2006
what have i started here?!! :blink:

I started it so now im going to end it! at the end of the day rules are rules and i am sure people who have a real problem or just an interesting topic will not be put off by the fact they have to talk in proper english!

I joined this site when i bought my mk2 and have found it one of the most useful tools when doing general tasks on my car! and i have also found everyone friendly and generous in nature!

I always check it every day and if theres nothing i can be bothered with i click off! simple!

this thread wasn't started so you could slag of the site it was started to find out the reason why which i think is fair enough! it may be their opinion but as they run the site i think it is their call really!

So as they say it isn't over till the fat lady sings and my nan is singing at the top of her voice so you can no longer use text speak FULL STOP..... ;)

I think if it was the other site, we'd of banned you and then sent you an email of abuse.

Very true, everyone i've met from scn (manchester meet) has been banned from the other forum. But as stated earlier there is lots of useful tech info on here, just not a sense of comunity for me. But tech info is the thing that led me here in the first place TBH. So thats that.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
I vote for the Text Speak ban to continue, and get stronger!

If you cant spell or type properly, or even speak recognisable english, should you really be on an information forum?

There are a number of international members on this forum, and it shocks me that their english is alot better than some of the other UK born members on here!

LONG LIVE M0RK!

si-mate

Jai Ho or Jay Ho?
May 31, 2004
Kunt Centryside
There need to be more banter and general chit chat threads. That helps a community grow and stick together. Anyway of to vagweb.co.uk & tdisport.com now.

If you look in the general section below there are plenty of off topic and banter threads. Indeed if you don't think there are enough then why not create a few more?
The only proviso's being that you stick to the very few and very sensible rules that the admins ask that you respect.
The moderators and administrators here try to keep the general chat away from the model specific forums so that the threads don't degenerate into useless drivel. This means that when someone comes onto SCN to find info about their car they don't have to wade through pages and pages of dross to find the information they were after.

You have to treat this place like it is ZBOYD, m0rk et al's home. If they ask you to take off your shoes before going upstairs then you do it.
It's not a dictatorship. You are intitled to air any opinion you like, but bare in mind (as i've said above) that you wouldn't go into someones house and start a fight or tell them that their wallpaper is sh1t.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
bin - been

I pick up on this (in my head) in spoken language too, its become a very common slip, even the newsreaders on BBC1 say it. I must admit I find myself saying it sometimes and my 5 year old does too. Very annoying.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members