1. Hi Guest. Booking is now open for our national meet on Sunday 14th July - all SEATs and CUPRAs welcome - we'd love to see you there. - Find out more here
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

Why is my LC so low?

Discussion in 'Leon Mk1' started by SlashProm, Apr 15, 2019 at 3:41 PM.

1. SlashProm

SlashProm Full Member

It has the standard 16" bbs splits.
    45 profile tyres
    looks to have stock front springs "black and rusty, look like the 17 year old originals.

My dog bone, back of the subframe and sometime the back of the sump near the drain plug skims over some of the rougher speed bumps on my estate.

Earlier I was out and trying to keep up with a mondeo st, It was a straight road heading into a 60, I was going a little faster than that but nothing crazy, the road got a bit bumpy, no speed bumps just a bit uneven and bouncy, car came down hard and I swear it was like I'd ripped the sump clean off the car.

surely 45 profile tyres wouldn't cause all of this? are the cupra's this bad? Because everyone is saying "I have mine lowered 30mm and it's fine"

Attached Files:

2. SlashProm

SlashProm Full Member

If it helps my springs are 250mm from top to bottom with the car jacked up on axle stands. I don't have spring compressors so I can't take them off, but a standard spring is 360mm which I'm guessing is unsprung height

3. SlashProm

SlashProm Full Member

Bit of an update. I have been trawling through the forums and I found a post about the ride height of a Cupra R
    from the floor the the top centre of the wheel arch it should be:
    Front: 67cm
    Rear 67.5cm

I also found that a Cupra R is 20mm lower than an LC so if I'm right, my car

Front: 63cm
    Rear 65cm

The front looks to be 60mm lower.

I also can't get a measure of the subframe as my ruler is too big but it looks to have about 8-9cm of clearance for the dogbone and subframe bottom arm holders.

I also have to factor in that it has 45 profile tyres and not 55 profile which is a difference of 13.8mm. So if I was to round up and give it the benefit of the doubt. I'd say it has 45mm lowering springs on the front. That and the fact I don't see 60mm lowers anywhere for the leon 1m

Update, think I'm on to something, according to what I'm reading my 16's should have a 205/55//r16 and not a 195/55/16. The difference between a 205/55-16 and my 195/45/16 is basically 50mm, explains a lot. So if I take the 50mm less in wheel diameter and half it, as it's wider top and bottom, meaning only half of the size effects ride height. I can safely say that my car is 25mm lower on the tyres, so it must have between 30 and 35mm front lowering springs on it.

#3 SlashProm, Apr 15, 2019 at 5:48 PM
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 6:37 PM
  4. Sparkie

Sparkie Angling Adict.

Don’t know if yours is pre facelift
    But my first LC had 17 inch rims as standard.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
    3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

5. SlashProm

SlashProm Full Member

It's a 2002 Reg. When I went to buy the car it was in a driveway next to an Audi TT, which was up on axle stands with no engine and subframe. He told me that the engine and "big brakes" off the TT went into it. So I can't be 100% certain if it's supposed to have 16's or if it's an LC.

The alloys scraped on the brakes when I got it which I put down to the 312mm discs and bigger calipers.

It's hard to get any solid information as I know my car can come with 312mm brakes and the slightly smaller ones. I've also been led to believe that some leon cupra's came with 16's and/or 17's. Like how some Cupra R's come with 17's and/or18's.

The Alloys are 16" BBS Splits, they are also known as the "16th anniversary alloys" mainly associated with the MK4 Golf GTi

It also has full leather electric seats.

As you can see it has some serious arch gap, I'm sure It'd be better with 17's but I like the acceleration and the alloys, and I'm hoping just putting the right size tyres on it will fix most of the issues.

Attached Files:

#5 SlashProm, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:29 AM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 9:59 AM
  6. Zardoz

Zardoz Full Member

Yeah, that wheel/tyre combination looks really small in the arch.

7. Zardoz

Zardoz Full Member

For comparison here are my 16" wheels, tyres are 205 / 55 / 16 (on 35mm lowering springs). wheel1.jpg

8. Zardoz

Zardoz Full Member

If you combine that with original worn springs it'll all be adding to the drop in height. Like you say getting the right size tyres on will help, if its still low then look at replacing your springs / struts.

#8 Zardoz, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:29 AM
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 11:40 AM
  9. SlashProm

SlashProm Full Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'll be starting with decent tyres as stated above. I also never knew that old springs would lower the ride height, but I guess it makes sense as they lose some of their rigidity and begin to droop lower under the weight. A set of springs for the front is around £25 for atandard OE. Might be one for the weekend :D

Zardoz likes this.
  10. Zardoz

Zardoz Full Member

You'd might be shocked by the state of the springs if they're the originals. When I took my old ones off they were all different heights! Oh and one had lost good a 1/3 turn off the end :D

Make sure you get the tracking sorted too if you get the springs swapped mate.