Wich one IHI / Garret gt28rs

Carfanatic.nl

www.Carfanatic.nl
Jun 16, 2008
Swifterbant
www.Carfanatic.nl
Want to make my ibi fast.. doing 300/350 horsepower with turbo upgrade.

Ive got these options;
- IHI vf 34
- Garret GT28RS

Here the questions;
- Wich one is the better and more reliable turbo ?
- Is one of them ... quicker ? in some ways ?
- Wich 1 is harder to fit ?

Further opinions welcome.

caveo

From what i read the garret has the potential to hit bigger numbers but wont spool as soon , i have an IHI ( 18g ) and compaired with my old ko3s its alot laggier so personaly ( as its still my daily drive ) i would stick with the IHI but this is just my opinion.

Carfanatic.nl

www.Carfanatic.nl
Jun 16, 2008
Swifterbant
www.Carfanatic.nl
From what i read the garret has the potential to hit bigger numbers but wont spool as soon , i have an IHI ( 18g ) and compaired with my old ko3s its alot laggier so personaly ( as its still my daily drive ) i would stick with the IHI but this is just my opinion.

IHI compaired to k03s alot laggier.... aint that a bad thing ? I want to have good power and reliability. The car need to perform very well and fast !! At least 5 seconde 0 - 60 mph...

Wich one is more trouble to fit ? And cost more ?

caveo

IHI is the more popular choise and cheaper but i dont know about fitting first hand , but my jbs stage 1 kit has a little room left around it .

Carfanatic.nl

www.Carfanatic.nl
Jun 16, 2008
Swifterbant
www.Carfanatic.nl
IHI is the more popular choise and cheaper but i dont know about fitting first hand , but my jbs stage 1 kit has a little room left around it .

Oke sounds good. And another thing..
Do i have to change pistons running @ 330 hp and alot of torque.
I read that the pistons of a 1.8 20vt are way stronger than the rods.. so i have to do the rods, headbolts, springs and valves to keep the engine reliable not ?

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
IHI compaired to k03s alot laggier.... aint that a bad thing ? I want to have good power and reliability. The car need to perform very well and fast !! At least 5 seconde 0 - 60 mph...

Wich one is more trouble to fit ? And cost more ?
If your looking for that sort of 0-60 figures the turbo won't be your biggest problem it'll be traction.
Account for light weight alloys (£600), sticky tyres (£600), 2 piece light weight brake discs(£600), a diff(£1,000 inc fitting) and an aftermarket traction control unit with launch control function (£700) and a good clutch with light weight race fly wheel (£1,000 inc fitting)

ryan_s3

Mar 27, 2004
Wich one is the better and more reliable turbo ? better-define gt28rs is slightly larger but slower to spool.28rs is more reliable and rebuildable
- Is one of them ... quicker ? in some ways ?
similar power outputs you will have to run ihi harder but will be more responsive
- Wich 1 is harder to fit ?
how long is a piece of string!

Carfanatic.nl

www.Carfanatic.nl
Jun 16, 2008
Swifterbant
www.Carfanatic.nl
If your looking for that sort of 0-60 figures the turbo won't be your biggest problem it'll be traction.
Account for light weight alloys (£600), sticky tyres (£600), 2 piece light weight brake discs(£600), a diff(£1,000 inc fitting) and an aftermarket traction control unit with launch control function (£700) and a good clutch with light weight race fly wheel (£1,000 inc fitting)

Hmm i thing i shouldnt be that much of a trouble to get 0-60 in 5 sec.
A friend of mine has k04 doing 280 - 424 hp/nm.. Hes car does 0-60 with suspension billstein and powerflexx... good clutch and flywheel.

I want below 5 sec 0 - 60 doing full slick tires... on daily drive.. it will get some good tires but isnt hasnt have to do that great figures.. on street roads..

I just wanne beat a m3 :) e46 (stock).

And your prices are a bit high.. im doing tons of research were to get my parts.. All ready found out that the prices can be such a difference...
Tires will cost me like 100 euro a peace.. with 40% off price. Im doing the flywheel and good clutch.. but i aint doing a diff just yet.. Im also getting powerflexx and koni suspension.

caveo

im getting a diff next week so ill write up how it affects my 0-60 time

Carfanatic.nl

www.Carfanatic.nl
Jun 16, 2008
Swifterbant
www.Carfanatic.nl
im getting a diff next week so ill write up how it affects my 0-60 time

Im curious :D

or try 2871r or 30 etc esp if your getting internals done make the most of the power

I wanna have some drive ability ;).. Need to be fast tho.. but i thing 300/350 will be more than enough..

i used to beat an m3 on a well set up k03s

That cant be, the bmw m3 e46 has 345+- hp a k03s will do 250 ? maxx
m3 0-60mph 5.0 sec k03s does maby a late 5 ?

Maby we talk about different m3 .. but i was talking about e46 one.

Last edited:

h17och

the hunt is over. 460bhp
Sep 1, 2005
Dunstabubble
beleieve me a 250hp ibiza will wipe the floor with one....well more than one. i beat about 10 of them on k03s.

power to weight...m3s aint fast in any way what so ever.

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
If I were to do mine againmI would probably go for the garrett or a mitsubishi based unit. If I wasn't having trouble with my vf34, then perhaps my opinion would be different.

caveo

**sos off topic**

so caveo, now you getting a diff, does this mean you beast isnt for sale anymore?

Yep she's staying and getting the spare dosh we had for a new on on her , so i'v just ordered some 18" rims , spec stage 2 clutch with single mass fly wheel ,eibach anti roll bars and a quafe ATB diff ( this should be fitted @ jbs next mondayish ) and im also eyeing up some masive brakes from ECS ,the stage 5 porshe ones 355mm 2 piece disks with porshe chayne 6pot calapers.:D

Now back on topic ( ill do a write up some time )

HTC

Sep 2, 2004
Don't go too big on the calipers. You can lose pedal feal as the master cylinder struggles to move the volume of fluid on huge items.

Keep us informed on how the diff changes things.

Carfanatic.nl

www.Carfanatic.nl
Jun 16, 2008
Swifterbant
www.Carfanatic.nl
beleieve me a 250hp ibiza will wipe the floor with one....well more than one. i beat about 10 of them on k03s.

power to weight...m3s aint fast in any way what so ever.

Still dont thing so... 280 hp ibiza with k04 setup.. could not win ...

But it doenst matter :D well see when its al done.

I thing im going for ihi running it @ 1.2 bar.
The only thing im worried about is the manifolt and downpipe. Downpipe hass to be custom not ? And manifolt is a bit expensive :(.

caveo

You can run it @ 1.4 bar but drop it to 1.2 at the higher revs ( like mine )

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise