Wild Willy's Leon Cupra R- 325 Badger Horse Power.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Those two studs are going to be awkward to grind in position, i may just chance it as the xs mani is 1mm thicker than the stocker and i can still get a few full threads past the nut. I know of one chap who removed the studs in situ and then replaced them once cut.

The bolt in question is simply a caphead bolt but to stop it from spinning when tightening the nut back on you need to remove the plastic upper timing belt cover that is quite difficult to say the least, i honestly don't know how to remove it., brute force probably but thats not my way.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
unfortunatlty brute force is needed for the cover.
I guessed as much :D but what concerns me is the cover could dig in to the timing belt and possibly do some damage. Is it a pull to the left and up or is it a straight pull up. I can't believe i'm getting outfoxed by a piece of plastic:headhurt:.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Yesterday i got a few hours to work on the car. I removed the turbo, bracket and down pipe from the car which allows unrestricted access to the manifold studs etc. I removed the heat shielding behind the engine and its bracket which allowed the manifold to slot into position a treat. No need to undo any engine mounts etc. I also removed the two pipes which cross the bulhead (seconds to remove and reinstall).
I wanted to see how badly the offending studs held the manifold off so i trial fitted it with four nuts and to my relief it was only one (upper inside runner 4). So using the Badger5 / Prawn technique i locked two nuts onto the offending stud and unwound the stud from the head using the inner nut.
So its all ready to be fitted back together but first the manifold is on its way to Bill to have its welds reinforced with Bill's special high nickel content welding rods. Hope its enough to keep it from cracking.:shrug:
So i have to get some bits and pieces together for the weekend and hopefully Bill can find the time to do the welding in the near future. Looking forward to getting it back on the road.:)
Also got a new wmi controller on its way from DO as the previous 3 i had were DOA. I've opted to go for the general 0-5v controller as they are generally more reliable and give me more options than boost only. I'll probably use the maff output as the trigger because i want a more linear delivery, one that follows injector duty cycle rather than boost.

jonathanp

Jan 5, 2005
Coventry
Good man, i'm having mine welded and fitted this week :)

How's the fitment of the turbo to the mani looking?

You gonna crank up the boost some when its finished?

Bret

Lcr stealth :)
Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Real nice job w.willy love the car and loving the maff housing how long did it roughly take to get to you?Just a bit worried with reliability of overseas orders :shrug:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Good man, i'm having mine welded and fitted this week :)

How's the fitment of the turbo to the mani looking?

You gonna crank up the boost some when its finished?
I'm sure it will be worth it mate.:)
I haven't checked turbo to mani fitment but fingers crossed.
I'm looking to flatline 1.5 bar to the red line so we'll seehow it performs.

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Real nice job w.willy love the car and loving the maff housing how long did it roughly take to get to you?Just a bit worried with reliability of overseas orders :shrug:
Thanks Bret, i ordered mine through xs power unfortunately just before Sam was suppling them :(. But from what i've heard delivery from the USA is prompt and efficient. :)

prawn

Jan 29, 2008
Basingstole
Hey Willy! Thought I'd pop back on and catch up with your thread after seeing you on ASN.

Looks to be going well!"

I've not read back though the whole lot, but are you still on the small port head? if you're looking to fit rods in the future it could be well worth your time fitting a large port head whilst youre at it!

My AGU on a CR V1 hybrid made 312bhp at 14psi on Nikis dyno, which I've confirmed to read the same as Bills, and it's all down to the over all flow capability (VE) of the engine.

I'm currently on a detuned map as you know, running about 300bhp with just 13-14psi at the redline, but my turbo on a previous engine has made 344bhp at Bills on 22psi. Niki had it making 330bhp at 18psi at the redline during mapping, but backed it right off due to my stock rods.

Keep at it with the XS manifold, I think you're going to find it's WELL worth it! During Wellys early days of testing the hybrid, they struggled to get over 300bhp on the stock manifold at all, then the XS opened up another 44bhp! Absolutely unreal flow from them, and it'll totally change the way it delivers the power I reckon, mine just pulls and pulls, we've had to reign it in because it just doesn't want to stop!

All the best with getting it up and running again, I look forward to seeing your results!

Also; arb wise, I wouldn't worry about23F and 28R upsetting things, I run 22F and 32R on mine, and it's beautiful!

ibizacupra

Jack-RIP my little Friend
Jul 25, 2001
glos.uk
you cant compare small port to large port any more than you can compare 9:1 to 9.5:1 compression ratio's, which people seem to forget...
Wellys was AGU motor.... higher comp, and largeport...

only the lupo has come close to wellys power levels, and is also a higher comp engine (aum golf engine)

prawn

Jan 29, 2008
Basingstole
Mines come close too :) 329bhp on the dyno before
It was backed off.

Then again, mines large port high comp too! Looks like I'll need to source some agu pistons if I want to build my new lump without dismantling the current one :( current pistons I've got are apy so 9:1

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Mines come close too :) 329bhp on the dyno before
It was backed off.

Then again, mines large port high comp too! Looks like I'll need to source some agu pistons if I want to build my new lump without dismantling the current one :( current pistons I've got are apy so 9:1
Hi Prawn, thats an awesome set of results there you've had from your set up. Bill recently fitted Rods for me but although i had an xs mani to fit i decided against it at the time on the grounds of reliability but i've since not been able to resist the urge lol.
I'm looking forward to see the max power from my setup so that i can measure its difference to Welly's and based on those results i can see whether or not its worth going largeport head and high comp pistons combo.
At the moment i'd be happy just to see 300 bhp.:)
We'll see what meth brings to the table too.

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Thanks Bret, i ordered mine through xs power unfortunately just before Sam was suppling them :(. But from what i've heard delivery from the USA is prompt and efficient. :)

Ok thanks :D i think i will invest :D isit just a case of replacing the old one or is there any modifying to standard fittings(as mine is a 210 bhp???Also is this a maff you can run for standard or a stage one or is this more for higher tuned engines as i'm trying to pre build as much as i can before i go for my 1st stage map hopefully to get the most from it that i can :wink: I have now subscribed to your thread looking forward to seeing you hit that big 300 fingers crossed :funk:

Last edited:

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
Ok thanks :D i think i will invest :D isit just a case of replacing the old one or is there any modifying to standard fittings(as mine is a 210 bhp???Also is this a maff you can run for standard or a stage one or is this more for higher tuned engines as i'm trying to pre build as much as i can before i go for my 1st stage map hopefully to get the most from it that i can :wink: I have now subscribed to your thread looking forward to seeing you hit that big 300 fingers crossed :funk:
Hi, a bit of modification to the heat shield is needed.
Personally i would leave the maff tube mod alone until you get further down the modification route and have a means to test its worth. I hope you have a B5 TIP fitted as pound for pound this is a great modification.:)

Bret

Aug 3, 2010
Cambridgeshire
Hi, a bit of modification to the heat shield is needed.
Personally i would leave the maff tube mod alone until you get further down the modification route and have a means to test its worth. I hope you have a B5 TIP fitted as pound for pound this is a great modification.:)

That is being ordered tomorrow as soon as payday strikes :D along with new stoppers :funk: thanks for the advice.:)

wild willy

Aug 4, 2003
Wales
My XS manifold with additional weld strength should arrive early next week. I've removed, cut and replaced the manifold head stud that was hitting runner 4. I've got some Nordlocks for the 3 manifold to turbo bolts. Not looking forward to trimming the heat shield.
I've had a good look at my hybrid and compared it to my stocker and i definately have a stock turbine wheel. Its been polished, lightly ported and ceramic coated. The Compressor wheel is defo different to a stock wheel but which one i don't know. So we'll see what the setup is good for as i have had a genuine 302bhp out of it on an APR remap at 18psi in the past. If power is low i may even consider a modern hybrid on my stock k04 with some considerable porting.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.