will the aeb engine fit in my leon

bigwull

Oct 22, 2013
tyre, glasgow
With the aeb block being fitted longitudinal to cars and the leon being transverse, Will it still fit if I use the mounts from the bam block and just swap them over.

Also will the crank be the same from the aeb engine as the bam engine, I'm going to swap out the forged pistons from the bam engine and buy new forged rods and rings and put in the aeb if I can use the aeb that is

Its just that the aeb engine is a lot cheaper than all the rest and if I'm swapping out most of the guts then it will be worth it and I could probably get started on it this weekend instead of waiting much longer.
It's just the mounts and the crank I'm not sure about.

Cheers

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
The AEB engine doesn't fit. Its completely different.

depending which engine you go for, its generally not worth swapping pistons either. The majority of them run the same pistons. Theres nothing special about BAM pistons

bigwull

Oct 22, 2013
tyre, glasgow
I always thought the bam engine came with forged pistons whereas all others were not

So it'll be a block that was fitted transverse to start with then with 20mm wrist pins?
Will it be worth getting a high mileage block if I'm changing rings and shims anyway,?

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
I always thought the bam engine came with forged pistons whereas all others were not

So it'll be a block that was fitted transverse to start with then with 20mm wrist pins?
Will it be worth getting a high mileage block if I'm changing rings and shims anyway,?

There loads of dispute over wether the pistons are forged or not. Not that it really matters, a forged part isnt always better than a cast part. Its just a process.

All of the pistons are equal. Some have higher compression which is better for big turbos etc, and certainly won;t do any harm on a K04.

I believe there are longitudinal blocks that WILL work. I know that the AEB isn;t one of them.

20mm wrist pins is another thing where its arguable if they're hugely better or not, until your really upping the power.

If you'r doing rings and bearings etc, then I personally wouldn;t worry about any engine under 200k miles

bigwull

Oct 22, 2013
tyre, glasgow
Thanks garry, that's exactly what I wanted to hear, I'll go and do a bit more looking and digging and see what I come up with.

If I see something will it be ok to post a link for you to have a look at to see if it will be any good or not.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members