Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
untill i go vroom :bleh:

Competition who said anything about competition, i just like nice clean looking car. [B)]

Past the colin mcrae stage in my life :lol:

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Well time for another tiny update,

After a boy nearly losing his head at the car show with the high winds lifting my bonnet from the holding thing i decided it was time to get some bonnet lifters. A nice cheap and simple mod to freshen up the engine bay.
Photo0071_001.jpg

Photo0072_001.jpg

Been meaning to get these for a while just something i never got round to doing nice and easy installation. These were advertised for a mk3 polo but fit grand on the ibiza, the now have a coating of wax to help prevent any surface rust.
A random photo i took of the car at the show while i sneaked off for a burger, some admirers of the car. They have good taste.
Photo0070_001.jpg

Still trying to solve this intercooler problem with a false advert with an ebay seller, once sorted i should be on the road to hybrid again.

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Lookin good min.
Shite about the ebay thing, hope you get that sorted.
Will be interesting to see what your car makes tomorrow
A know i am still waiting on a refund,

I have found a beaut of an intercooler for sale similar dimensions to the forge one but a 6th of the price and i already have the pipework, Cosworth intercooler all the way

Nice car it's a minter

Why thanks, it takes time.

I really need to do something with the washer bottle and header tank it looks gruby!

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Car is looking really good mate as it always does. :thumbup: :clap:

Makes me tempted to get a Cupra/Cupra R with all the problems Im currently having. Love the photo that you took when going to get something to eat.

Mr Wilz I have a question mate. :help:

Does the bonnet sit flush when it is closed with the bonnet lifters?? Im thinking of getting a set for the mk2 with a set of matching rears and just wondered about the bonnet.

Although I dont exactly have much under the bonnet to show off. :blink: :redface: :doh:

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire

Thanks .

Been a while since i updated the majority of the time has been spent maintaining the car and collecting parts.

I have now finally got my FMIC problem issued with flea bay and went for a different company and have come up with this solution, a RS/coswoth intercooler - (bday present)

Photo0075.jpg

Photo0073_001.jpg

The core sizes are iirc are 450h x 550w x 45thk which is slightly higher and wider than the forge unit but the same thickness so should fit snugly behind the crash bar with some modification. My plans are to get this fitted soon when i can organise the run to work. I do have the forge map sensor tube and all the other associated pipe work but will show photographs of that when i update with the fitting.

Next came the original CD changer off of a member from this site, i got sick of listening to the radio. Once i get a parcel shelf my Cupra R will be back to a factory finish.:lol:

Photo0078-1.jpg

Then came the braided brake lines for the Brembos and short ones for the rear, all made from stainless steel no mild steel or zinc coated fittings which are prone to rust but proper stainless steel. -

Photo0076-1.jpg

I then decided that my engine bay needed some more bling so i also now have some braided fuel lines to fit, i do have the finishers in stainless steel but not shown ion the photo. -8 hose with -6 finishers. (bday present)

Photo0077.jpg

One more item that needs to be fitted is the front lower strut brace which came yesterday still in the packaging - (bday present)

Photo0080.jpg

So i now have a nice little collection of parts to be fitted which will happen when i get round to it that’s all.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Alright bud, happy birthday.

Thats a big assed FMIC, are you sure this will fit, I thought all the VAG cars either had the inlet and outlet out of one side or both out of the same side not out the rear like this one??

I hope you didn't pay much for that CD changer, I have my one spare.

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Superb buddy! Always good to see a load of parts coming together! What route you going for intercooler pipework? Similar to the forge since the inlets are pretty much the same position?

I might have to shove my CD changer up like that as well. Always find the space behind the arch useless...

Similar to the forge as the outlets are basically the same, running a reducer from the outlets and they are 76mm outlets. I am running 63mm pipework, not cuting and shutting like the forge unit i am praying.

Well i didnt know where the standard went and though it tucked up nicely behind the arch,

Alright bud, happy birthday.

Thats a big assed FMIC, are you sure this will fit, I thought all the VAG cars either had the inlet and outlet out of one side or both out of the same side not out the rear like this one??

I hope you didn't pay much for that CD changer, I have my one spare.

Well its 100mm higher than the forge unit but going by their guide it should fit just som minor modifications to be made to the radiator, grill, bumper, crash bar and whatever else gets in the way. It will be made to fit and should look sweet. The Forge unit outlets are from the rear, just the uni ones come from either side, or the twin bypass ones from same side. Did some research on them and i wasn't convinced they were decent.

Now you tell me, you could have offered me it for a discount price since it's my birthday.

looks really good gone need some modyfactions to the chrash bar to get that one to fit but it will look awsome[B)]

Thanks, i am thinking alot of modification will be required.

Well got the fuel lines fitted tonight, really freshens up the bay. -

Photo0081.jpg

Photo0082-1.jpg

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Been a while since i have updated,

I got my front lower front brace fitted, camber and tracking done at wallace performance (the car handles so much better now)

The big task that was ahead of us was to fit the new FMIC, thanks to my father for all the work he has put into this car, couldn't have done it without him.

So here is a comparison of the older intercooler alongside the new intercooler
P9240011.jpg

As you can see it’s a tight fit down there and numerous brackets and modifications were made to the front panel to get this to fit. What a nightmare.
P9230004.jpg

The bracket for moving the radiator back
Photo0093.jpg

New lower radiator brackets to hold it in place
Photo0090-1.jpg

I decided that i didn't like the bling look as it was like playing poker but showing your cards so the stealth look was brought into play
Photo0097-1.jpg

With the front panel and everything removed from the front of the car i decided to clean and wax the chassis legs below the lights -
Photo0089-1.jpg

I then decided to bodge a custom jobby on a cold air feed to the filter but still wanting to keep the standard air feed that used to provide the SMIC, which should provide the filter with plenty of air.
The only photo i have of the strutbrace -
P9250026.jpg

Note the pipework does not sit like that on the car now that was before everything was properly fitted.

The usual knocking on mkl3's with the milltek exhaust was starting to annoy me due to the standard mounts being like jelly,

So new ones ordered -
Photo0096-1.jpg

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Exhaust mounts continued -

The standard one that come off the car, certanly past its use by date -
P9250020.jpg

New one all made up with stainless bolts ready to go on -
P9250013.jpg

P9250015.jpg

And a photo of it on the car -
P9250016.jpg

This has solved the knocking noise now which i am delighted about to say the least.

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
So here is a comparison of the older intercooler alongside the new intercooler
P9240011.jpg

As you can see it’s a tight fit down there and numerous brackets and modifications were

So the new cooler is only a little bit larger then the standard SMIC then :lol:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members