Wind deflectors... your views or opinions

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Hi

I have always wanted these on a car I've owned but never got round to it. Or owned cars that couldn't use them.

My head says they should reduce blustery winds and noise but do they?

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Non smoker here lol I put them on and took them off after a week as they just added to the noise...

I guess you could get used to it if you didn't have Ocd like me lol

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
I'll leave them off then I think. Was hoping they would reduce wind noise but allow a bit of circulation if the window opened a bit

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I'm late to the party as usual. But also considered getting them, but have read too many posts about them flying off blasting down the motorway. I'd be too worried about them coming off and hitting mine or someones else car at speed.

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
I like the look of them and I like to have the window open a lot, with the design of the car I get water dripping into the car so I think I’d find them useful.

As for the extra noise, I wouldn’t know as I don’t have any fitted yet. As long as it’s not horrendous I won’t be too bothered as I’m usually playing music, plus I find with a 1.9 TDI that there’s constant noise anyway as the engines a noisy bugger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I like the look of them and I like to have the window open a lot, with the design of the car I get water dripping into the car so I think I’d find them useful.

I use the a/c. So up until this morning :shrug:. But I got in the car this morning, rolled the window down and forgot my driveway points slightly down and towards the drivers side. Literally, all the water collected overnight ran down the inside of the door!

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
I use the a/c. So up until this morning :shrug:. But I got in the car this morning, rolled the window down and forgot my driveway points slightly down and towards the drivers side. Literally, all the water collected overnight ran down the inside of the door!
I do this all the time lol you can only blame yourself followed by lots of :censored:, always have spare microfibers in the boot for mop ups...

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
I’ve ordered some, figure that a 1.9 TDI is already loud and I have music on a lot.

I like the look of them and they will fit into the red and black colour scheme of my car. I like to have my window open in all seasons and the deflectors will keep rain at bay.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Let us know how easy they were to fit and just how noisy they are compared to having none... please

adon30

Apr 18, 2008
Brummm Brummm
I found wind deflectors do make the car a bit noisier but you can have you window open a little bit to let air in on the motorway which is much quieter.
Other good point is that when it's really hot you can leave your windows open a little bit. No one notices as the top is hidden and if it rains water doesn't get in. Not so bad when on the enclosed works car park but probably wouldn't leave it like that on the street.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
I have then as I thought they may help with the "helicoptoring"... they dont. Also general wind noise seems a bit more with the windows closed . But I quite like the look of them... I got mine for free though, I may yet bin them though... im undecided. If I had paid for them i think id been a little disappointed.

Paul Smith

Sep 10, 2018
Helicoptering I was hoping would be solved by these as it hurts my ears and believe me they are some big ears lol.
I wonder if there are different brands with slightly different designs as the eBay ones look very squared off so would suggest there noisy as not so aero dynamic

saveoursouls

Jul 4, 2018
Manchester
Let us know how easy they were to fit and just how noisy they are compared to having none... please

Very easy to fit, took about 30 minutes but with now knowing how to fit them I think they’d take 15 minutes or less to fit again.

In regards to the extra noise, I can tell that there’s a little extra noise but not enough to stop me from using them. The MK2 lets in a lot of road noise as it is, I don’t notice the extra noise for the most part.

If pushing past 80 to about 85 I have noticed that the wind noise does go up a considerable amount. Again not a major issue, I’m rarely travelling at that speed.

As I see it the Leon’s not specifically a cruising car, if I wanted a cruiser I’d still be driving an Avensis. The Leon’s a sporty all rounder. If you want to make it sportier then there’s going to be compromises. If I was modding it solely on comfort, I’d have an armrest, cruise control and sound dampening in the door panels but I’m after a sporty commuter which is a decent all rounder.

Sharpy

This place has cost me a fortune....
Oct 2, 2018
Helicoptering I was hoping would be solved by these as it hurts my ears and believe me they are some big ears lol.
I wonder if there are different brands with slightly different designs as the eBay ones look very squared off so would suggest there noisy as not so aero dynamic

I got a set of the HEKO ones, the helicoptering is still bad, although all you need to do is open another window a bit and that resolves it.

If also agree it’s not a tourer although it can do it, sporty all rounder is about right, there will be some compromises.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members