Wind noise on new Seat Leon

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Hi All,

I have a 2013 Leon that produces a whistling/wind noise when the car is travelling over 60mph. It sounds like its coming from the front of the windscreen, but in reallity it could be the door mirrors or similar, I know pin pointing accoustics is very hard in a car.

I have used the search but cant find anything on the 2013 model.

The car is brilliant otherwise. I have booked it into the dealers next Tuesday for them to check it out under warranty. Sods law though will dictate that on the day the noise doesnt appear until I pick the car up again and drive home :cry:

Has anyone else experienced this with the 2013 model?

Thanks,

B0nk3r5

Jun 15, 2013
Virtually no wind noise. Car is really refined. All the reviews I read before buying said the same. Yours must have a problem. If the dealer says "they all do that sir" get him to prove it by taking you out in another Mk3 Leon.

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Yeah I know it isnt normal. I drove an FR round knockhill and it was only the engine that was howling :)

wiganlad81

Mar 27, 2013
I certainly don't have this 4k miles down now and not a whistle. Hope it gets sorted.

kugaman1

Mar 6, 2013
Aberdeenshire
Last night I had 4 curries, 6 boiled eggs and 3 bowls of lentils - my word did I have some wind noises whilst driving through to a meeting this morning......

Oh sorry, you meant from the car?

No mines been fine! Hope yours is sorted soon....

eclat01

Seat Leon Mk3 SE 1.6 TDI
Aug 4, 2013
Malmesbury
I have noticed the same noise around 60mph...
Appears to be coming from passengers side windscreen area!

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
I have noticed the same noise around 60mph...
Appears to be coming from passengers side windscreen area!

Thats where I think my noise is coming from. Hoefully dealers will find where its originating from.

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Last night I had 4 curries, 6 boiled eggs and 3 bowls of lentils - my word did I have some wind noises whilst driving through to a meeting this morning......

Oh sorry, you meant from the car?

No mines been fine! Hope yours is sorted soon....

lol that was funny..i dont associate a smell with my wind problem though :D

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Virtually no wind noise. Car is really refined. All the reviews I read before buying said the same. Yours must have a problem. If the dealer says "they all do that sir" get him to prove it by taking you out in another Mk3 Leon.

Indeed I will. Been panned off by ford dealers quite a bit in the past. I did raise this with SEAT directly first to raise visibilty.

Just realised I can use "Multi" for showing more quotes. Sorry about the unneccesary extra posts.

Last edited:

rcopus

Jun 6, 2012
Midlands
There are quite a few reports of this wind noise on German forums.
Apparently their dealers have replaced 2-4 screws in/around the grill and this has stopped the noise.

Reactions: C_ED_99

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
There are quite a few reports of this wind noise on German forums.
Apparently their dealers have replaced 2-4 screws in/around the grill and this has stopped the noise.

Dude i dont know you but i think im in love lol. Many thanks for this. Do you have the URL of the forum in question? I dont speak German but google should give a loose translation.

Thanks,

B0nk3r5

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Update from Dealer: Not convinced its wind noise (or just wind noise) so keeping the car in for further investigation. Techie did hear it when I took him out so they have acknowledged the fault.

They seem like a good professional bunch so cant wait to see what they do diagnose. Will keep you updated in case others experience the same.

Personally I still think its the grill issue, but they are the experts and all is good and well in the land of Warranty.

B0nk3r5

slo007

Jun 15, 2013
Aberdeen, Scotland
I had a wind noise problem on a VW Jetta - took the car several times to the dealer and they refused to accept it as they could not locate it ("normal"). One day I was washing the car and lots of water got into the car through the rear left window. Ta-da! That was the issue all along...

I asked the dealer if they wanted me to hold the hose for them to see the leak... they fixed it quick!

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Got the car back today. They have confused the wind noise with turbo noise. Seat Uk are not aware of the grill screw issue. Was advised to let the car run in more. I am aware of the turbo noise, that is perfectly normal. The wind noise is still present when you aren't accelerating, the turbo noise is not.

It is a similar kind of sound so I can see why they have came to that conclusion.

Is anyone here a member of that German site? It looks like I am going to need to track down the contact details of the German dealers that are aware of the issue, so that I can get the 2 dealers talking to each other. I can't speak German unfortunately.

Thanks

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
I have managed to post on the German forums. Many thanks to Google Chrome for Auto translation.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Good luck with your Google translation. You have probably just asked some burly Germans to come and closely inspect your rear entrance wind problem and give you a good German screw.

They'll be queuing round the block in no time.

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Good luck with your Google translation. You have probably just asked some burly Germans to come and closely inspect your rear entrance wind problem and give you a good German screw.

They'll be queuing round the block in no time.

Ha ha yes probably..na i posted in English :D

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Got my posts deleting because I posted in English :cry:

Reposted in German using google translate so far no replys. Seat UK and Fife Seat still trying to blame the turbo :confused: Getting nowhere fast with this.

B0nk3r5

Aug 13, 2013
Does anyone here know where these screws are located? I assume it isnt just the 4 plastic clip like screws that you can see when you open the bonnet?

Not having any luck in the German forums. I keep getting my posts deleted for either using English or cross posting.

Cant say my google translated requests are helping my case much lol.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.