Wind Noise

Hobbit

Aug 5, 2006
Stockport
Hello Hobbit,

in all likelihood the mirror-kit is fitted in your Altea ... but sometimes, there is a need to additionally readjust the seals around the doors upper part ... or, in some cases, even bending/adjusting the doors a little helped to get rid of most of the still remaining wind noises.

Thanks will have a word with the dealer about this and see what he suggests. Assuming he is aware of the kits in the first place.

Need to get it booked in sometime soon anyway to get the 'stuttering' problem at around 50 - 60 mph caused by the ECU mentioned before on here. So hopefully get both sorted together.

Cheers

Tell

Staff member
I could have left to the dealer but I thought I'd get funny looks and at about 1-50 pound including postage from the garage mentioned cheaper than driving to mine and you get the effect that you did your self - with the good help of guys here. It's just air leakage back into the wing mirror assembly that causes the russling sound. Mind you if the door needs bending that's something different .

The long strip resembles a piece of draught excluder, the other bit you'd have difficulties in cutting if you didn't have kit. It just packs out the seal which they must have got wrong in early Alteas.

loadswine

loadswine
JUst fitted this kit.
Well it seems pretty effective so far. Should be interesting at higher speeds, that's where I noticed a bit of rustling around the mirror area before. Hey , for just over a quid delivered, it was a no brainer. Had to be done.
Thanks to the folks on here who paved the way, as always. The odd picture and explanation makes a huge difference to the esae of installation. Basically, its very simple once you identify what's what, but without the help, it would have taken much longer than the 5- 10 minutes it took me.

mocuishe

Great POST!! Can anybody help me get one of this kits? My dealer seems to not know anything about it. Thanks

mocuishe

I live in north london. (finsbury park) I tried Seat of KINGSBURY which is local to me. I try another dealer on monday. I wish to cure this noise as its pi....es me of. I am going to scotland next month, i hope it will be cured by then.

mocuishe

I will speak to them on monday. If i cant get the part from them i will try to make it myself. I have notice a gap between mirror base and door window so i guess thats where the problem is.

mocuishe

Will try to match foam from the pictures supplied, and glue it there. It looks like simple diy job to me. Unless i am wrong?

J.K.jr.bad.

Tell you about my wind noise issue on Toledo 5P2 (sold December 2005)
I think I haven't got your kind of wind noise out of mirrors but I'll try to listen to it, but I had another one for which I don't have explanation.
I had this wind noise coming out of rear side doors which was starting even at low speed (~60km/h). So as I had some previous experience of bent door glass enclosure due to trying steel car by bending this enclosure I found out, that this rear door enclosure when door was closed was not enough close to body in front most side. To fix it I just took some effort to bend it back by manpower and now this noise has gone..
Maybe someone of you has got similar problem...

Last edited by a moderator:

mocuishe

Its purely aerodynamics problem with airflow. The noise i have is the same as yours. Looking at this thread i belive my problem is no different than others and if they cured their cars with those stripes i can cure mine as well. When ur door frames were bent a bit this is caused air to flow differently even after bending them back it might be still not straight and little difference from factory by 1-2mm, could cure the problem.

mocuishe

I got the parts ordered, however guy in service told me that for my chasis should be different part which is 9.99+vat each. So i got ordered part which is mentioned on this forum, will give it a go and if will not help then i get ordered the part recommended by them.

cupra tdi

hi,i've a 2007 fr tdi which developed wind noise from the passenger door,left it in once and they sorted it out but after a few months it came back.they then tried the bend the frame method but it's still there.i think that the fault is around the top seal/roof aperture area,does anyone know if this seal can be adjusted/