Window Only goes half way up! 2003 Model

keeganb2000

Hey, I've never ever tried to fix anything in a car before but times are tough and if I can D.I.Y this one I will but need some help, so if anyone has the knowledge please help me out!

The driver side window will only go from completely down to half way up. It doesn't go any higher. I'm guessing something is blocking it from fully going up but wondering where do I start to investigate this further.

Oh and what type of tools would I need if any?

Many thanks,

Barry

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Star or philips screw driver, probably ph2 to take doorcard off. Then probably small socket set or spanner, 8 - 13 mm sockets, if you actually need to remove the regulator. Don't forget to support the glass with tape from one side up over the door window frame to the other side. You may find that if it is a cable type regulator that the grease on the cable has gone dry and with moisture ingress, corrosion has caused the cable to fowl on the drum that it's coiled around and stall the system. If you can hear the regulator motor labouring then stalling then that's probably what it is.

Last edited:

keeganb2000

You may find that if it is a cable type regulator that the grease on the cable has gone dry and with moisture ingress, corrosion has caused the cable to fowl on the drum that it's coiled around and stall the system. If you can hear the regulator motor labouring then stalling then that's probably what it is.

Great thank you so much for the response I really appreciate you taking the time. I will attempt this this evening.

If the grease has gone dry is this a matter of reapplying more grease to the cable to fix it, or am I looking at buying parts to replace?

I know... A very hard question to answer considering it's all theory right now!

Thanks again!

Barry

Pimped up vario

Cordy Cruizer
Nov 20, 2009
Belfast N Ireland
Great thank you so much for the response I really appreciate you taking the time. I will attempt this this evening.

If the grease has gone dry is this a matter of reapplying more grease to the cable to fix it, or am I looking at buying parts to replace?

I know... A very hard question to answer considering it's all theory right now!

Thanks again!

Barry

If your fortunate then it could be a case of teasing it back applying grease and then trying to advance the mechanism, just watch the fingers.:D I found with mine that the drum had been deformed/chewed up by the cable when it had frayed then broke. It's easier to just buy a complete regulator assembly ad put it in. Breakers, probably about £20-30. I got mine from the dealers and forget the price. £50 plus vat ??

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.