Window Tints - Altea/Toledo

Jaytee

Jul 26, 2005
Hemel Hempstead, UK
Well, booked my Toledo into the local window tint company in my home town and left it with them on Monday morning.
By lunch time I had a phone call from them saying that they were having a problem doing the doors, due to the construction of the internal door trim panel, which appears to incorporate the window rubber and supposedly mounts the electric window regulator mechanism :confused:

Anyway, the bottom line is they didn't want to do the job as it would be too difficult to remove the door panels! - although they would tint the back window and rear quarter lights, which I declined to have done.

Has anyone had tints fitted on Altea or new Toledo? - is this really a problem or did they just not fancy doing more work than they estimated for the amount I was quoted?

Cheers,
John.T

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
Well as I've had my cars windows recently I know only too well about this....

It seems that on VAG cars the small windows in the rear doors are bonded to the rubber and when removed the have to be replaced because there impossible to get back in neat even if the firm used a window fitter. And if the car can be immediately driven the rear screen can't have been removed or it would fall out because the glue/bond that holds it in takes 4 hours to get to the drivable state.

so tinters who are familar with VAG group cars know this -that doesn't mean these cars cannot be tinted-they can and right up to the edge -as shown

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=90947

ALT54

Dec 9, 2004
Jaytee said:
Well, booked my Toledo into the local window tint company in my home town and left it with them on Monday morning.
By lunch time I had a phone call from them saying that they were having a problem doing the doors, due to the construction of the internal door trim panel, which appears to incorporate the window rubber and supposedly mounts the electric window regulator mechanism :confused:

Anyway, the bottom line is they didn't want to do the job as it would be too difficult to remove the door panels! - although they would tint the back window and rear quarter lights, which I declined to have done.

Has anyone had tints fitted on Altea or new Toledo? - is this really a problem or did they just not fancy doing more work than they estimated for the amount I was quoted?

Cheers,
John.T

The door panels on Altea and in turn Toledo are a pain to remove. Estimate on labour to remove them is 2 hours per panel. Came across this problem when having the speakers upgraded. Bass fine but tweeters means panel removal and same problem! (Various threads on this item)

I think as you say they got wary at the amount of work involved. Try another fitter, be upfront about the problem they may have a solution or will charge accordingly for labour involved.

Paul

AR-CoolC

Feb 3, 2006
Lincoln
You don't actually need to remove the panel fully to remove the glass!

Being pedantic, the glass in the front doors is already tinted from the factory, so any tinting firm putting anything other than a clear security film onto those windows are breaking the law.
And you will be driving around in an illegal car.

Yes I work in the Aftermarket automotive glass industry.

CH1

Jul 6, 2004
You should still be able to tint the rears though (legal and all that)

Feb 24, 2010
London
Tommorow is the day, have narrowed my options down to two lol... Any last help would be crutial to me, Any pics of combinations

30% Front and 15% Back or 30% Front and 20% Back, any last minuit advice will help Thanks

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Dunno the percentages, but the Stylance model (Toledo anyway) comes with tinted windows.

I can confirm that the rear doorcards are a PITA to remove cos I've had to do this myself, but a pre-tinted doorglass is ~£55 from SEAT, and the rear quarter panel is about £70 IIRC *

You could probably get a pre-tinted tailgate from a scrappers too.... but that might be going a bit far

* tinted glass, not just film stuck over the inside.

---EDIT---

Tommorow is the day...

Ooops - well let us know how it went anyway

Last edited:

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
AR-coolC is dead right in what he says. Do not do the front side windows, there is a legal requirement of how much light must go through these ( for obvious reasons ) and if stopped by the law, and they don't comply, you will be walking home.

altea phil

Jan 25, 2009
West Yorks.
Correct...front windows must allow 70% light through, and as stated above the factory-fitted front windows are pre-tinted, so anything more will be illegal.
(Tested the front windows on one of our Volvo T5's a while back and they were 72% !!)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.