Window trim vinyl wrapped

John 170

Sep 13, 2016
I like it, kids are sticking vinyl on bonnets with prisms and covering the chrome/plastic highlights, whats next? vinyl roofs as I did in the 1970s and fluffy dice!

I've read this 10 times and still can't work out whether you actually like it or are practising the dark art of sarcasm

Hopefully the former

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John 170

Sep 13, 2016
Thanks

the trim is what I would do the badges being black isn't my thing :)

Yeah as I mentioned I'm not sold on them either, i'll most likely be removing them in the new year. It was easier to get them done at the time and then remove them rather than vice Versa

GREEBO22

Daft Old Codger
Dec 27, 2015
Coventry UK
I did the Seat Grill badge when i bought a honeycomb grill,, thinking it would be easier to do before fitting to the car,, and yep i had the same "silver edge" after couple of days,, i think even usung a heat gun to stretch then shrink the wrap the sun always shrinks it more..

and i still have to do the boot badge but was thinking of getting anouther boot release catch and getting rid of the "S" completely

John 170

Sep 13, 2016
I did the Seat Grill badge when i bought a honeycomb grill,, thinking it would be easier to do before fitting to the car,, and yep i had the same "silver edge" after couple of days,, i think even usung a heat gun to stretch then shrink the wrap the sun always shrinks it more..

and i still have to do the boot badge but was thinking of getting anouther boot release catch and getting rid of the "S" completely

I didn't dare tackle it myself, paid a professional to do it but think the badges will be going back silver shortly. Love the window trim though

BobAndy

Feb 28, 2014
Loving the look. I see what you mean about the badges. Can you say where you had it done? Price sounds good...

John 170

Sep 13, 2016
Loving the look. I see what you mean about the badges. Can you say where you had it done? Price sounds good...

Certainly, I'm in Teesside and it was a graphics and lettering company on a local industrial estate called AM lettering and graphics. I had a couple of quotes around £150-£200 initially.

BobAndy

Feb 28, 2014
Certainly, I'm in Teesside and it was a graphics and lettering company on a local industrial estate called AM lettering and graphics. I had a couple of quotes around £150-£200 initially.

Good on you for getting a better price. I'm down in SW London, Bromley to be exact, so can't take advantage of AMl&g's services. I'll keep searching locally...

John 170

Sep 13, 2016
Much cheaper and no silver lines

The badges are now back to original silver, they were simply an afterthought. IMO wrapping was a better option for the window trim all things considered.

Merry Christmas, take the rest of the day off

John 170

Sep 13, 2016
£150 for a job that a tin of matt black paint will sort, just very puzzled?

It's not puzzling at all, it is however a matter of opinion.

It cost £100 not £150, IMO vinyl looks far better and covers impurities better, plus should I wish to change it back removing the vinyl I'd imagine is far easier than removing/respraying.

Of note I've removed the vinyl from the badges which was very straightforward and took 2 minutes.

As I say it's a matter of opinion and we've both stated ours, the fact that they differ is healthy.

All the best!

Paul20v

Jul 16, 2016
Got too admit i would wrap over painting any day in this particular application
Chrome trim is a terrible base for black paint and it chips and peels easy .

John 170

Sep 13, 2016
Got too admit i would wrap over painting any day in this particular application

Chrome trim is a terrible base for black paint and it chips and peels easy .

Pretty much my thought process on top of the ease of reversing the process. Vinyl all the way for a job like this.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.