Windows Frozen Shut - Altea 1.9 TDi

chunky monkey

May 6, 2008
Stonehaven NE Scotland
Hi all,

Does anyone have this same problem?
Even in the slightest frost my front electric windows are frozen shut. The motors just do not have enough power to open them and break the seal.
I have to drive for about 15 minutes until the car warms up before the seal is eventually broken and windows can be opened. I have tried running a credit card around the seals, but this does not work, can't quite pinpoint where it is frozen shut, as I am driving when fiddling around trying to get them open... I can not be doing the motors or the switches any good constantly flicking them up and down trying to open the bloody windows...
Any one have same problems with theirs? Is there a fix? or do I just have to live with the puny motors that have been fitted by the factory...

Was thinking of spraying some silicone release spray around the seals to see if this helps...

Cheers for any advice,

Andy...

Joec1

Feb 9, 2010
Wiltshire
PTFE spray should work, but personally im not bothered and just wait for 5 minutes for the car to warm up :)

chunky monkey

May 6, 2008
Stonehaven NE Scotland
I have acquired a tin of silicon release spray, so will give that a go first.

I think my loon has more powerful motors in his Lego collection! I may have to do a swap over... There is a lot to be said for good old fashioned hand winders... these have to be the most underpowered motors I have come across, its ridiculous, it wasn't even that frosty this morning, and it still took 20 miles of driving before they would finally budge....

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Are you being serious? Frost is the problem, not "puny motors", and trying to force the windows open (either manual winding or electric motors) will only break stuff.

Silicone lubricant such as plumbers use on plastic pipes is what you'd be better trying rather than the silicone spray you've got.

chunky monkey

May 6, 2008
Stonehaven NE Scotland
Are you being serious? Frost is the problem, not "puny motors"

I am being serious.
I have owned one or two cars over the years and never encountered this problem before, so why now? Has the weather suddenly got colder? I think not. It would appear it is an obvious design fault. Is this a universal fault across all manufactures? Are everyone's windows sealed shut for the first 20 minutes of their journey on a nippy morning? No...

I realise frost is the cause of the problem, I could move to Spain to solve this, but in reality I stay in chilly Scotland and here is where I am staying, its cold, and I like it up here.

I was posting to see if others are cursed with this issue, to see if it is a manufacturer design fault, or if it was an issue particular to my individual car. Not to enter into a round glib replies!

BTW even on a good day, the motors labour while operating the windows.

But thanks for your reply, sarcasm aside, I will chase down my local plumber and see if he can help me out.

Joec1

Feb 9, 2010
Wiltshire
Wack a load of PTFE silicon spray on it. around the motor joints, and down the window glass runners and see how it goes :)