Windscreen judder, help please, its driving me mad!

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
How much is your excess on a new windscreen ? You might find by taking it to somewhere like autoglass they might be able to recommend a solution for you or remove any residue left on you screen. If you excess isnt too high you accidentally :whistle: crack your windscreen and get a new one. The replacment wont affect the no claims on your car and it will only cost you what you excess is plus it will be covered for a year.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Ive asked atscreen places now.

One said go to the dealer :confused:

The other said its not seen them as bad, and didnt know what to suggest.

My excess is £70 :whistle:

Well ive just been out applying a ton of tar remover, pouring it down the window with the wipers on, buffing it in with a cloth, and now ive just left it on the windscreen until it rains, probably in a few mins :lol:

I tried that the other day and it made it better, its the only thing that has lasted slighty, so im hopeing that leaving it on will do the trick.

If not, then the next thing is a new screen.

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I asked my dad - he is very car-y :)

He said have you adjusted the angle of the wipers? Apparently they can get a bit twsited, which means the wipers are on the screen at the wrong angle and they judder.....

Dunno how you adjust it mind....remove the wipers and refit, or just grab and twist the arms? :blink:

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Thanks Lunalupi :)

But i dont think its to do with wiper angle, since they judder down and up the screen. And ive had new wipers and tried my old set and the ones of my other arosa and they judder on my tdi but not my 1.0.

So its the rain-x thats gone funny, If just been out for about an hour driving round in the rain, they were working fine at first after using the tar remover, but they gradually got worse.

I think i need a new screen :blink:

Dave H

Mar 12, 2007
Perth, Scotland
How old is the car? I have 2001 Leon, and having taken it to a auto electricians today, they reported that the linkage and spindles were ceased - and this why the judder in recent weeks. The bill was 1.5 hours to investigate, remove and clean and grease mechanism and spindles and refix all fittings.

Wipers fixed, no judder and they are the fastest wiper blades I have ever seen! it appears they are connected to my turbo now lol.

1.5 hours labour to free linkage and grease and re-assemble - I think this is your solution (full stop) I guess it has nothing to do what you got on your windscreen. I reckon you are concentrating too much on the windscreen, but in theory the window wipers mechanism and motor should work if applied on a road surface. It is the motor and linkage that makes it work so invest in a new windscreen and you will have the problem. Investigate the linkage before new windscreen!

every word you say i know what you mean, appear ok but then slower and slower, next they will not return to rest postion.... then after that they simply will not work... due to all the muck and lack of lubricant in the linkage. Just hope you catch the linkage before it burns out your motor!

Last edited:

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
How old is the car? I have 2001 Leon, and having taken it to a auto electricians today, they reported that the linkage and spindles were ceased - and this why the judder in recent weeks. The bill was 1.5 hours to investigate, remove and clean and grease mechanism and spindles and refix all fittings.

Wipers fixed, no judder and they are the fastest wiper blades I have ever seen! it appears they are connected to my turbo now lol.

1.5 hours labour to free linkage and grease and re-assemble - I think this is your solution (full stop) I guess it has nothing to do what you got on your windscreen. I reckon you are concentrating too much on the windscreen, but in theory the window wipers mechanism and motor should work if applied on a road surface. It is the motor and linkage that makes it work so invest in a new windscreen and you will have the problem. Investigate the linkage before new windscreen!

every word you say i know what you mean, appear ok but then slower and slower, next they will not return to rest postion.... then after that they simply will not work... due to all the muck and lack of lubricant in the linkage. Just hope you catch the linkage before it burns out your motor!

Yes thats my predicament really.

I did think it could be the motor/linkages. However my rear wiper also started doing it the same time, the time i applied that old rain-x and it went from there.

Although the front motor always makes funny noises, like grinding noises, and it has a bit of play. But i had put this out of the question since the back wiper was juddering too. Althouth that now seems fine, its the the front are worse than ever.

Im thinking a new windscreen since i know its the rain-x that started the problem, but i could probably do with getting the motor and linkages looked at. But i might have a look at that myself sometime. But the motor will be buring out soon with all the stresses from the sticky screen.

But you have got me thinking now, it might just be my motor or linkages!

OH: my car is a 2002, with 44K on it, id have thought the motor/linkages should last longer than that!

Last edited:

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
As I may have said before my wipers juddered quite a bit and then the linkage came off of the mechanism. There is like a ball and socket fitiment that they are all fixed together with and my linkage had rusted. I got a new linkage from ebay and during fitting I cracked the windscreen. Its all fine now :D Try removing the cover under the bonnet on the drivers side where the linkage will be. Make sure that your wipers are up, turn the car off and have a feel around inside and along the linkages to make sure they arent loose.

cardaft

Apr 21, 2007
Well after tryin gall sorts of things ive finally fixed the juddering :D

SO the cause was the old crappy rain-x i had used that i found in a draw in the garage, dated 1991 i think!

But it wouldnt shift it, i tried alsorts of things.

FInally i got some hob brite for ceramic hobs and tried that, used it a few times and they were much better, so every time i washed the car i would use this on the front and rear screens before i washed the car (Since it covers the car in white dust).

It seems to have removed the rain-x and the water no longer runs off the window. So the wipers are as smooth as they should be now.

Also got some new aftermarket fittment aero blades from VW yesterday and fitted those. Now they work as good as new :D

:D:D:D[B)]:D:D:D

stephenSF

Jun 2, 2009
I realise this was quite a while ago now but I think I have the same problem as cardaft. I'm trying to work out how exactly you would apply this stuff to the windscreen to get the pesky RainX stuff off. Any ideas appreciated.

I realise this was quite a while ago now but I think I have the same problem as cardaft. I'm trying to work out how exactly you would apply this stuff to the windscreen to get the pesky RainX stuff off. Any ideas appreciated.

Try This !!!!
No i've not been drinking LOL (tea total)...Wait for it...Wait...........TOOTHPASTE !!!

Seriously,no i'm not joking..........Put it on and get an old microfibre,rub it it HARD...Sorted !!

It also polishes out VERY small swirls on the screen,apply some Vinegar based window cleaner & some Rain X...That will sort out the cleaning side of it anyway...Don't laugh TRY IT !!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.