Windscreen shared with other models?

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Does anyone know if the Mk2 windscreen is shared with other VAG cars? i.e. an A3 or Golf or something?

I may be moving back to NZ, if the wife agrees to leave her family, again. But I want to take V5 as I've taken a bit of a shine to her, despite her thirst for 98RON, VW and Audi NZ have confirmed I can get all the service parts I need, i.e. mechanicals, electrical, driveline etc, but I am slightly concerned that if I had an accident then body panels would have to be repaired or imported.

But my main concern is the windscreen, I am hoping that it is shared with another model otherwise I am screwed.

Actually that kind of leads to another question, do windscreen fitters buy their screens from the manufacturer or do they (bigger fitters) make their own from design?

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
not sure yet, I can get a 20ft to NZ for £1500, but we will have household effects as well, so will need a 40ft, so hopefully its not 2x the 20ft in cost as I may rethink my strategy there.

But cars are not cheap in NZ, and I wouldn't be able to a 2002 car as nice as the V5 for what it will cost me, afterall, if I sold it here I'm not going to get back anything near the £1500 it cost me, so running it into the ground is my intention, and it will be something quite unique in NZ.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
When I had my windscreen replaced it was listed on the receipt as a VW Golf mark 4 screen, even with the rain sensor mounting and tinted glass.

As far as I know, manufacturers don't make glass, they buy it in based on their own specs. It's a bit like coilpacks as an example, they're not actually VAG coilpacks they're made by Bosch. Then again, I don't know whether places like Autoglass would make the glass either, they probably buy it in from the same source.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Great, thanks slimy, I might try and confirm with Autoglass if they are the same then.

I wasn't sure about the glass thing, I just thought maybe bigger fitters like Autoglass might have their own manufacturing. Smith and Smith is the equivalent in NZ (as I noticed the jingle is the same), as surely obscure models or obsolete models would not have new screens available, so someone, particularly in little ol' NZ must make them as side from the factory assigned suppliers.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Might be worth while ringing SEAT and seeing if they have a part number for the windscreen, you could then ring VW and see if the part number for a Golf windscreen is the same.

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
I may have to do that, I did ask Autoglass on Wednesday but so far no reply. Pretty stink, it would take them 30 seconds to check, their recent redundancies must be making it harder to reply in a timely fashion.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I've been trying to find the receipt as I'm 90% sure it was fitted by Autoglass. Unfortunately I've not been able to find it yet!!

If you don't get a response from the bigger companies, why not try a smaller shop to see if they use the same windscreen?

krisby

Custom user title
Nov 17, 2010
Sipson
Thanks Slimy, otherwise I was just going to go direct to Seat, but I could try a smaller outfit too.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.