Windscreen Washer Help

jay.driscoll

Hi,

I have an Ibiza 1999 Mk2.

Today my front windscreen washer decided to stop working. When I switch on the washer the windscreen wipers work normally but no water comes through.

I have checked the water and the bottle is 2 thirds full. I have also checked the connections between the bottle and the wipers and there is no leak.

The pump itself has two outlets, the one pointing towards the engine connects to the front windscreen however the second outlet has a pipe of about 8 inches on it but is not connected to anything.

I have checked the fuses and cant see one that has blown.

For the entire time I have had the car there has never been a rear washer so not sure if the second pipe should be connected to anything?

Does it sound like the pump has blown and needs replacing?

Any ideas? As you can tell I am not very experienced in car maintenance

Thanks in advance

Jay

chris27

Jun 30, 2007
Can you hear the pump working? And they def connected to both washer jets? The "t" pipe where it splits to each washer jet somethimes comes off on mine

jay.driscoll

I cant hear a thing from the pump..... its silent... I am still confused why one of end of the pump isint attached to anything?

Any ideas?

lee133

one is inlet and one is outlet i think the second one is for the rear window and is prob snapped you dont need i tho lol. By the sound of it the pump has gone and needs replacing m8 if your really stuck take it to a garage and ask them the check im sure they wkl check it for free....

Delbwoy

Get a 12V circuit tester (About £1 in Wilco) and put the clamp to earth, get someone to operate the washers and see if one of the terminals lights up the tester when the person operates the switch.

If it does then it's either a poor connection to the pump, or the pump is faulty. If it doesn't light up check you have feed to and from the switch in a similar manner.

As I read what I wrote, it looks confusing! Sorry.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.