Windscreen Wipers

peplow

Morning all

Got a bit of a problem with my windscreen wipers in that the ball joint on the linkage to the passenger side wiper appears to have corroded and dropped out, not good when it was poring down with main on the M1, luckily it was not the drivers

Has this happened to anybody and whats the easiest fix?

Im guessing the ball joint cant be replaced so how do I get the black plastic cover off hiding the motor and linkage as it appears glued on?

Or is it possible to remove the the passenger side wiper and its pivot point as my idea was to drill and tap a hole in the actual ball as it has a flat bottom and then just use some thread locking liquid on the screw so the ball joint would never drop out again?

Many thanks in advance, any advice is greatly appreciated

Mitch

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
The plastic cover doesnt come off quite easily but, whatever you do - do not be tempted to try to put something underneath the black cover and prise it off as you will crack the windscreen.

1. You need to remove the cover from the wiper arm bolt (this does just prise off)
  2. Unscrew the nut and remove the wiper arm
  3. Then pull off the weatherstrip (black rubber)
  4. Peel back the sealing strip and prise out the 'cowl' panel retaining clips
  5. Remove the cowl panels

Should take about half an hour and your correct in assuming that the ball joints cannot be replaced alone. You will need a new arm but, these are not sold separately at the dealers. They will charge you a fortune for a new linkage so your better off emailing people on ebay with Arosa's that they are breaking.

Last edited:

peplow

Brilliant, cheers for the reply

I actually managed to get it off at dinner after a bit or persuasion

Had to get bearing pullers on the wiper arms as they we seized on solid so Ive put copper grease on them now

looks like when I had the windscreen replaced, the bloke from AutoWindscreens broke the scuttle plate, oh well, can live with that

How much are we talking about for a new linkage?

Cheers

Mitch

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Complete new linkage from the dealers around £120. When my linkage failed I managed to pick up a new Arm from someone breaking an Arosa on eBay for £15.

peplow

Cheers for the replies

Just to let you know you can get brand new linkages seperately

The passenger side linklage is part number: 6X1955326A

Should have been £7 but he let me have it for £4 as it had been on the shelf a while and ive had lots of business with them

Who told you that you could not get it all seperately as my dealer has dold me most of the linkage is seperately sold?

Many thanks again

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I asked my local dealer. Was around 2 years ago and my Arosa is a MK1. Not sure if that makes any difference ! That said I have been waiting 9 weeks now for some engine bolt covers :think:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.