wing mirror electrical niggle

nicky_hud

hi all,
ive owned my tolly for about a week and a half now and have found a couple of little faults, one was the memory seat problem(still not solved) and the other is the near side mirror reverse thingy. sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. also on occasions i will stick the car in reverse and nothing happens but when i take it out of reverese the mirror moves up to adjust back to where it thinks its just moved from :headhurt:
does anyone know if there is a switch on the gearbox/linkage anywhere what controlls this? or if there is any other common faults that may cause these problems. also could the mirror problem be connected to the memory seat problem as ive read in the user manual that when you memorize the seat you also memorize the mirror position? these little problems are nothing realy but if its something stupid that can be easily fixed then i feel its worth doing.
they obviously worked at some stage and it would be nice to have them working once again.
thanks for your help, any input would very appreciated.
nick :)

Timmyboy

Former Cupra Owner
Aug 27, 2005
Bristol
Hi Nick,

No specific answer info I'm afraid but some more history on that particular problem. I think (hope!) I remember telling you about that on the test drive - Just to let you know the mirror was doing that throughout my ownership and the previous owner told me about it as well, so it's a long standing problem on that car.

Just had a quick look at some threads - one thing I didn't know was that you can turn the dipping thing off depending on which way the leccy mirror switch is pointing - check these 2 threads out:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42950&highlight=mirror+reverse

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=38722&highlight=mirror+reverse

One thread and manual says point to the right, other thread says left but right appears to correct - give it a try.

Amazing really, that mirror constantly dipping was probably the biggest thing that pissed me off with the car - wish I knew it could be switched off :)

nicky_hud

hi tim,
thanks for the links i shall check them out in a mo. as for telling me about the problems, its safe to say your about the most honest guy ive met, certainly when it comes to selling a car at least so theres no probs there mate. :)
to be honest if the only thing i have to worry about when buying a car is a minor electrical problem then i consider myself pretty lucky. my history with previously owned cars backs this up.

anyway thanks again tim
im now of to see if i can sort that bar..ard mirror out .[:@]
i shall let you know if i get to the bottom of it.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Yeah, from that first link this was the quote that relates I think:-

The left hand mirror will only dip in reverse if the mirror adjuster switch is turned towards the right hand mirror position (seems a bit crazy I know - perhaps a legacy of left hand drive?). I only found this out myself by mistake. I guess it's set up that way because you may not always want the mirror to dip in reverse so both options remain available. It does not work if the switch is turned to the central position. I find it a bit slow anyway and I'm normally parked up before its fully in position. I don't care much about the dipping mirror but the memory seats are great if you ever change drivers. I think a lot of people missed them on later models.

Confused the hell out of me too and usually dips when i dont want it to. Just keep the switch in the central position to disengage. You can also reset the position and the procedure is explained in the owners manual.

nicky_hud

hi there kewe, thanks for that the wing mirror seems to operate fine now with it set up as you and tim have explained. the only draw back is that i cant memorize it as i still have this memory setting problem? still i will get to the bottom of it eventually.
thanks for your help
all the best
nick

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members