Winter tyres?

bzoow

Mar 30, 2011
Bought set of Conti TS850 for just over £500 six years ago for my old FR170 and have been using on my FR184 for the last two years only when it looks like temps below 7 deg so not for more than a few months each year (I live in London). I bought them after watching some youtube vids on winter tyre performance and after some grim snowy drives to work 40 miles away. I have to say that they don't just help a bit - they are in a completely different league when it comes to snow, so much so that it almost seems unreal that tyres can make such a huge difference. Earlier this year I had to fly from Gatwick on the worst day when we had "the beast from the east" and there was a lot of snow and slush on the M25. There was no issue whatsoever.
I am lucky enough to be able to choose between the Leon and a TT and if it looks icy the winter tyre equipped Leon is so much more secure feeling than the (Quattro) TT and in snow would leave it literally standing. In rain in the summer clearly it's no contest the other way around.
I only have experience with the Contis which from all the reviews are the best - the same set of wheel/tyre is now about £800 on mytyres.

rock3g

Oct 28, 2016
I'm running Goodyear Ultragrip 9 on my 16's, 65 Leon ST. Its not a snow tyre, its a winter tyre- so a different rubber compound means it will give you performance gains for anything under 7 degrees C- which is a lot of the winter here in Glasgow!

I had Continental TS850 on another car, slightly better snow performance but that could be the car also.

I run 17's in the "summer" but I do see a lot of merit in the newer all season tyres for most users.

_Dejan_

Mar 20, 2018
This will be my first winter with my Cupra. Because I have Performance Pack Im limited to 19" alloys and all good winter tyres with that dimension are around 200GBP per tyre... This year Im decide to try Continental WinterContact TS850P 235/35R19 91W XL FR... Im make only 1000km on them but for now by driving in outside temperature from -5°C to 10°C I didn't have issues... Today we get some snow(Few milimeters) nothing special and I didn't have any tracking issues(Afcourse I didn't race and Im driive normaly)... Will see how it will be in when we get more snow :)

Reactions: gof

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
........Because I have Performance Pack Im limited to 19" alloys and all good winter tyres with that dimension are around 200GBP per tyre... ………..

The brakes on Cupra R – that’s the main reason I went for Nokian WR D4 235/35/19". As I mentioned earlier in this tread very stable in higher speeds.

On our Golf 7 Altrack I have Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 16” wheels with 190 studs per tyre. This is good for snow and ice but not good on plain tarmac. The car is rather “wobbly” without snow with this tires. With such many studs and a rough tread this is a consequence you have to live with. I would say "Not at all a Cupra tyre" :).

/Peter

Reactions: davidstarkey11

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Tempted to buy some Michelin CrossClimate + for general year round use.

Looks like a very good option for year-round use. Surely it has to be compromised in summer compared to a 'proper' summer tyre?

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
"General all year around use"..... cheap but no good for either summer or winter.

One incident cost some money. Perhaps the cost will exceed the summary of winter wheels.

As mentioned in the tread you don’t have ware on the summer tires if you don’t use them. The extra cost is a set of rims, no doubt about that. On the other hand you can use the winter wheels on another VAG car (most likely) if you want to leave the Seat brand. I suppose you won’t :)!

/Peter

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
This will be my first winter with my Cupra. Because I have Performance Pack Im limited to 19" alloys and all good winter tyres with that dimension are around 200GBP per tyre... This year Im decide to try Continental WinterContact TS850P 235/35R19 91W XL FR... Im make only 1000km on them but for now by driving in outside temperature from -5°C to 10°C I didn't have issues... Today we get some snow(Few milimeters) nothing special and I didn't have any tracking issues(Afcourse I didn't race and Im driive normaly)... Will see how it will be in when we get more snow :)

As per another thread there are a few 18" wheels that will fit over the big brakes,Team Dynamics Pro Race being one...which is what I may go for when my Carbon Edition arrives.

TheSwede

Oct 20, 2018
Sweden
As per another thread there are a few 18" wheels that will fit over the big brakes,Team Dynamics Pro Race being one...which is what I may go for when my Carbon Edition arrives.

I didn't know when I took the decision to go for 19". Don't want spacers.

A set of steel rims is not expensive.

Yes, you are right, steel could be a cheaper alternative. Cool "old style" :).

/Peter

Speedbird

Aug 10, 2018
Tempted to buy some Michelin CrossClimate + for general year round use.

I am considering the same. I don't do alot of miles or drive every day, so don't want full winters. But I do still want to be able to travel in inclement weather. These seem like the perfect compromise.

eltawater

Full and wholesome member
May 1, 2008
I've been running them for the past year, they're fine.

Sent from my SM-J510F using Tapatalk

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
Yes, you are right, steel could be a cheaper alternative. Cool "old style"

I've ran bare steel wheels for years and only put a set of plastic trims on them this year as the steel wheels were starting to get a bit rusty. My teenage son said it looks better with the bare wheels! It does have a dark, mean look I guess.

_Dejan_

Mar 20, 2018

Maybe they fit but in car homologation they are not approved so car then need to go trough TUV certification... For my car by factory is allowed: 225/35 R19 88Y * 8Jx19 ET50, 235/35 R19 91Y * 8Jx19 ET50
Also between caliper and alloy with stock alloys there is only few mm difference... Probably some stone can get between and make damage...

TheQuig

Oct 7, 2016
I have a set of 17” alloys I picked up cheap and fitted Michelin Alpin snow tyres 7 years ago. They have been on Mk5 Golf, VW Scirocco, Skoda Octavia VRS and they have seen me through the worst. Cost me £150 a corner. Well worth the difference over summer tyres. Time to get another set but there is still 5mm of thread. I put them on at the end of October and take them of in March when the temp reaches 10c constantly.
When the snow was really bad I had more grip in a 2wd with Winters compared to a 4wd Skoda Scout work car on summer tyres.
Well worth the investment, just find a set of VAG alloys that fit and get a set of tyres in your budget.
I store the spares in a tyre bag over the summer to keep the sun of them to try and stop the rubber from going off.

JONNYVT

Sep 9, 2002
LEICESTER
Visit site
I have a set of nexen winguard sport first gen on my cupra SC 280. I have been using these for over 5 years on various cars but always in 18inch mode. They are fine, grip well in snow and ice and last at least 3 times longer than summer tyres in winter conditions. Bought a set of team Dynamics imola for the 280, I prefer the look of them to the standard wheels on my red car tbh and they take the odd knock well. It's your choice but will always fit winters from now on, it's a no brainer, j

Liam

Just bought a set of brand new 18’’ winter alloys and Nexen Winguard 2 for my ST 4drive. Cost £730 for the full set fitted, balanced and delivered. They’re going on today and will be taken off when the temperature rises. Did plenty of research and went for 18/235/40 instead of current 19/235/35. Willtheyfit.com says they’re a perfect fit. They’re also a perfect match for offset and central bore (57.1)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 83
Reactions: TheQuig

Oldbutswift

Mar 23, 2016
Just bought a set of brand new 18’’ winter alloys and Nexen Winguard 2 for my ST 4drive. Cost £730 for the full set fitted, balanced and delivered. They’re going on today and will be taken off when the temperature rises. Did plenty of research and went for 18/235/40 instead of current 19/235/35. Willtheyfit.com says they’re a perfect fit. They’re also a perfect match for offset and central bore (57.1)

That's a great price,where did you get them from?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members