Wiper Blades

MarkBeatty72

Aug 3, 2014
Blyth, Northumberland
6 weeks with the Leon and I'm enjoying the experience.

However the offside front wiper blade has started to judder. I have cleaned the blade and the windscreen and the juddering still persists. I have visited my Local Seat dealer here in Newcastle area and they have said under warranty they will change the wiper blade if the car is under 6 months old or has covered less than 6000 miles. I stated that my car was pre-registered and I have only owned it for 6 weeks and covered just over 2100 miles, but they will not honour the waranty as they say it goes from the date of registration - 31 Dec 2013, even though I took first ownership on the 04 Aug 2014.

Is this correct, as I find this quite appalling that I should have to pay for a new wiper blade at a cost £20.14 on a car that has only been driving for 6 weeks and has covered 2000+ miles?

ma9mwah

Aug 13, 2009
I'm more amazed that they are willing to replace if under 6 months old or has covered less than 6000 miles. I would have expected them to say that it just a wear & tear item.

MarkBeatty72

Aug 3, 2014
Blyth, Northumberland
ma9mwah,

There not going to replace them, thats the point. Granted the car is now 9 months but it been sitting on a compound for 7 1/2 months un registered. So the car has only been in use for 6 weeks and the blades are juddering already - I don't think thats wear and tear - I would expect to get at least 6-12 months out of a set of blades whilst the car is in use.

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
Being sat unused for so long has probably been a contributory factor. When in use, the wipers will rest in slightly different positions to prolong the life of the blade. If it's been sat in the same position for so long, I can see why the blades may have worn unusually fast.

I'm surprised it was sat for so long as a pre-reg though - the minimum is normally 3 months registered to the dealer before they can sell it on. Either way though, it is still a used car when you buy it - time doesn't stop just because it isn't clocking up the miles.

As ma9mwah said though, it seems unusual that the dealer would offer to replace something like that after as long as 6 months or 6000 miles. Usually it'd just be the first couple of weeks to iron out manufacturing defects.

Fred99

Sep 21, 2013
Granada, Southern Spain
Wiper blades can wear out without being used as if they sit around in the sun the UV can deteriorate the rubber.

That said, less than a year is poor in the UK. Here in Spain they don't last long, but the UV is far stronger.

Andy

Nov 12, 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
Needing a replacement for the rear, its got that judder as well - 'beware the judderman......'

Had a nosey online for a decent priced rear wiper blade but I'm sure the ones I'm seeing arent the right length even though they say they fit the model/year - I gave up in the end ..tbc

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
My car bought from new is 6 month's old end of this month and drivers wiper smears badly on downward swipe, will see what dealer says

MarkBeatty72

Aug 3, 2014
Blyth, Northumberland
Niggle
Yeah I searched online and Bosch and Lucas blades are cheaper, but it's the principle of the blade needing replacing so early on. I appreciate the uv rays can deteriorate them when it was sitting on the forecourt but that's no different than it sitting on my drive or at works car park. I have never needed to replace decent wipers after 9 months on any of my cars.
Foolishly I was hoping the dealers would honour the fact I'm the first owner and have had it only 6 weeks and replace them FOC under the cars warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Some interesting points here mine is also a pre-reg being 31-12-13 and purchased in July so I guess the blades would have taken a set. You have done the obvious thing which is to clean the blade and windshield so a new blade is the next obvious thing. If this does not cure it then ask the dealers to check the attack angle of the blade using a guage fittted to the wiper arm as they may need to adjust this, its usually 5 degrees. Next would be the spring force on the arm but this is more difficult to change.

Hopefully a new blade will sort it.

I guess first service etc will also be from 31-12-13 and not when we purchased the car ;o(

MarkBeatty72

Aug 3, 2014
Blyth, Northumberland
Rob2k68 - I've been advised from the dealer I bought it off and my local dealer here that the service will be due after 10000 miles / or 1 year after purchase (which ever comes first) as it's a pre-reg car rather than 1 year from reg date. Which is good news but demonstrates a slight lack if consistency from the dealers - 6 months warrantly on blades from reg date of car, but 10K miles or 1 year for first service of car from date of purchase of car ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

MarkBeatty72

Aug 3, 2014
Blyth, Northumberland
Just had an email from the dealer I purchased the car from, not my local one and as a gesture of good will they are posting a cheque to cover the cost of a replacement blade. This restores some faith in SEAT customer service, albeit at a local level. Still good news.

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Hate using the wipers on my car as the driver's side one makes an annoying thud every time it reaches the top of its sweep. Ssshhh thonk, ssshhh thonk, ssshhh thonk etc!

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Hi Mark - glad they're covering the cost for you that's a result and cheers for update on the first service I'll definately bear that in mind. Just out of interest you didn't get your car from Autoworld in Chesterfield did you ?

Simonali - it's not set to high and making contact with the A post is it ?

simonali

Apr 3, 2014
Wiltshire
Simonali - it's not set to high and making contact with the A post is it ?

No, my Golf did that, but the Leon's wiper stops short of the pillar. Must be in the mechanism/linkage somewhere. Hoped I'd be rid of the clonk when the Golf went, but I still got it!

:cry:

Rob2k68

Jun 11, 2014
Rugby
Rob2k68 - yes I did mate, how'd you guess?

Got mine from there too 5 miles on the clock and 7.5k saving when built using the configurator - they had a few others on the forecourt but didn't think they'd be hanging around too long.

Thought the dealership was good which made a refreshing change shame I'm too far away to use them for servicing & parts.

MarkBeatty72

Aug 3, 2014
Blyth, Northumberland
Well the replacement driver side Valeo blade is doing the same now, juddering. So therefore it can't be the blades. The windscreen has been cleaned and still kissers. Even judders with Rainx on also.
Any ideas or suggestions before I go back to the stealers and discuss

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.