Wiper Issues on MK2 Toledo

May 4, 2008
I've had a quick look for the answer to this but as yet not found one. I have a 2000 Toledo TDI and recently the wipers have started to play up. If I switch them to intermittent or speed one or even try the washers the wipers will not work. It I switch them to fast they work, if I switch them to fast and then back to intermittent, speed one or wash then they work again, for a while.

Is this likely to be a switch problem, relay or the motor itself.

Can't believe that I am the first person to experience this so turning to you guys for some advice before I start going buying loads of different bits,

Thanks in advance

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The most common problem is the wiper spindles. Over time they can seize and give the impression that things are slow moving.

Take the wipers off, lift the bonnet and remove the plastic scuttle panel. Underneath you will see the motor attached to a metal frame that drives the wipers. The whole unit is bolted down with three bolts, undo those and disconnect the wire. Remove the unit. Once it's out the car you'll be able to see how the spindles are meant to move inside the sleeves, and it's more than likely that you will not be able to move them by hand.

You can try and crack them apart and grease them up, but I had to buy a complete new unit in the end as the whole thing was just mush. I made sure to copper grease everything. And it's amazing how fast the fast wipe actually is when the whole thing is allowed to move properly! :)

May 4, 2008
Cheers slimy, don't think it's the spindles as the wipers work fine once i've got them going, appears more of an electrical issue but not sure where to start. Relay, slatk or motor itself

May 4, 2008
Think you may of been right afterall, wipers are getting very slow now. Just ordered a new wiper mech, will give updates at the weekend hopefully.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise