Wiper motor just died WILL THIS ONE FIT?

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Hi. I was driving down the motorway in heavy rain the other night when my wipers just stopped in the upright position and wouldn't move. I pulled over and checked the fuse and it was fine. I then turned the ignition back on and tried the wipers again and they were just clicking like mad and not moving.

I then pushed the wipers back down by hand which seemed very easy to do. Got back in the car and set off, the wipers worked fine once and then stuck up again. I have since removed the wiper mechanism from my car and the mechanism itself is fine, it's not stiff at all, but the gearbox on the motor feels like it's completely had it as i can move the whole mechanism without any resistance.

Does anyone know which cars i can get a replacement wiper motor and mechanism from? I think the Audi A3 might fit, also the Golf 4, but is there any other cars i could look at?

Cheers.

EDIT - just bought a new wiper motor and linkage from ebay, http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2198487#post2198487 . thanks for helping me :)

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
If it's just the motor you should be able to pick one up cheap as chips (most scrappers in the know will charge around £100 for the mechanism because the siezed spindle problem is so common)

Golf IV, Octavia, A3, Leon...obviously

I suspect the motor could be common on many more, but that should be plenty to go at (loads of Toledos breaking on eBay at the moment)

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
I've seen some places selling the complete mech for pretty cheap, i'm after a quick fix for this as i don't have much time to spare right now with xmas coming up and everything lol

All these little niggles are putting me off the Toledo very quickly :(

Aircon is missing it's clutch but yet the system is still holding gas.
Electric window switches needed stripping and cleaning.
Boot light works when it wants to.
Reversing lights didn't work due to a broken wire on the switch.
Passenger side door doesn't turn on the lights or control the central locking when i use the key in the lock.
Water leaking into the car.
Broken passenger seat weld on the frame of the seat.

:(

Nov 27, 2006
www.cardomain.com
Sounds like it needs some TLC :(

...the motor is only held on with 3 screws though... if you don't need it and it'll save you some cash. S'pose it depends what's available and what they want for it

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Sounds like it needs some TLC :(

...the motor is only held on with 3 screws though... if you don't need it and it'll save you some cash. S'pose it depends what's available and what they want for it

Yeah it does need a bit of TLC, the drive is nice, and the bodywork is good, apart from light scratches on the rear bumper where someone has caught it whilst loading the boot. I think the previous owner was a golf playing family man as i found some strange bits in the boot. I found a load of golf tees, a golf ball, lots of pink glitter, crash bandicoot for PS1, and some manky old sweets in the spare wheel well. [B)]

I have now sorted the reversing light problem, along with the window switches too. I have just bought a load of silicone sealant and a sealant gun so can get on with re sealing my doors to see if that helps. I weren't expecting it to be perfect as it was cheap for a low mileage considering it's age.

I just need to get the wipers sorted out and my passenger seat fixed as they're main priority atm.

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
Just bought this off Ebay, expensive i know but i hope it fits! Can anyone tell me if all the wiper linkages were the same on the Mark 2 Seat Leon, and Mark 2 Seat Toledo? I know part numbers do differ between the two.

d0dc_1.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=390011256203

Cheshire_Tom

If you're still unsure if that one fits, I'll try and upload a picture of the linkage out of my car (Toledo mk2) if I can find a memory stick adaptor.

Mine had siezed up - took 6 hours to free the spindle from the housing using brute force. I never thought it would work again after all the hammering it took but with a bit of a clean and some new grease its as good as new.

Took bloody ages to fix for such a basic job, but the money saved was worth it.

car_guy143

Nov 9, 2008
Leyland, Lancs, UK
If you're still unsure if that one fits, I'll try and upload a picture of the linkage out of my car (Toledo mk2) if I can find a memory stick adaptor.

Mine had siezed up - took 6 hours to free the spindle from the housing using brute force. I never thought it would work again after all the hammering it took but with a bit of a clean and some new grease its as good as new.

Took bloody ages to fix for such a basic job, but the money saved was worth it.

Thanks for the offer but i have done it now, but maybe you could upload the pictures to help out others...

If at first you don't succeed, attack it with a HACKSAW! The mechanism has CZECH REPUBLIC and Skoda stamped all over it so i don't know where the ebay seller got SEAT from...

DSC00552-1.jpg

The new motor had a different connection plug on it to my old one, so i had to trim down the plug enough to reach the wiring pins so i could get a good solid connection, and then seal the whole thing up with silicone sealant. The biggest problem was working out which pin on the motor did what. I must have blown about 5 fuses trying to figure it out but i got there in the end. The wipers are faster than the old ones, and that's just on slow speed!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members