wiper problem

teds1969

Jul 27, 2007
i am having a strange problem with my wipers. This problem only started yesterday, namely, when i put the key in the ignition and turn to start the wipers start working immediately even if the stalk on the steering column is in the off position. When this happens the wipers make two or three sweeps of the screen and then stop, but not in the correct position. No matter what position i then set the wiper controls to they dont respond corectly, but instead go through a "cycle" of coming on for two or three sweeps and then stopping, each time ending up closer to where they should stop if workin correctly. When the blades stop where they should the wiper function then works as normal i.e. does what i ask when i move the control stalk. This whole event takes a couple of minutes. Does anybody know what would cause this? Any help greatly appreciated.

Oj 89

Senior junior member
Aug 19, 2008
NW Kent
if it was a failure with the wiper stalk wouldnt it do it all the time?

With mine, it's either when it's very hot, very cold, or I talk about selling the car whilst driving her. :cartman: it's definitely the switch on mine though, as if I accidentally catch it when turning, a couple of seconds later the wipers start up. Used to do it with the rear wipe, but I took it off ;)

teds1969

Jul 27, 2007
thanks for your reply. As i said mine only plays up when i first start the car then about two minutes later it works as it should and does not play up again until i switch off engine and restart. If it is the stalk are they difficult to replace? Quite a few on sale on ebay for not very much. Is this a job i can do easily or is it a garage job?

18-20v-toledo

i have kinda the same problem on my toledo except the wipers used to work now they would go on at all there the dont move when the stack is moved anyone one what it is??? i need the car for tomoro

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.