Wiper question

sootytorques

Sep 9, 2013
When i turn the engine off the front wipers rise by a few milimeters & stay there, when i turn on the ignition they drop back, is the right ? does anyone have this problem.

Marve

Apr 20, 2013
Yeah, it is a well known problem within the dealer network. It affects about 5% of cars but there is not a fix for it. The only way to resolve is to get a new car. Best get back in touch with your dealer and arrange to order a new car as soon as possible mate.

Or alternatively, it might be that when the car is running the wipers tuck away for aerodynamics and when the car stops, they raise into a maintenance position so you can access them and they don't interfere with the bonnet.

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
The wipers will sometimes rise slightly so that the wiper blade rests in a different position. It is supposed to help the longevity of the blade - you should find that it only sometimes does it, or by different amounts to position the blade slightly differently each time. They then drop back down when the ignition comes on for aerodynamics presumably, although I doubt a few millimeters makes much difference.

Ant

Jan 19, 2014
North Somerset
The Mk6 Golf I had previously used to do this too, as did my Dad's Mk5. Originally thought it was the automatic wipers trying to start as the ignition went off and the sensor shut down, but a bit of Googling around the VW forums at the time suggested it was intentional :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.