Wipers issue

SmidMasterNasty

Please help MOT on saturday, the wiper are stuck on the on position, even when you put it down to the bottom home position, relay changed and switch changed. Any ideas?

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
When you say "stuck in the on position" do you mean that you can't switch them off or that the switch is stuck in the on position? I ask because you say you've changed the switch, so I'm guessing that you mean that they keep going all the time the ignition is switched on.

If you've changed switch and relay the only thing left is the motor: again I'm guessing but it could be that the park position switch has failed, and so the relay never gets the signal that the wipers have parked. As far as I know it's part of the motor assembly: with luck it's just got dirty or a wire has fallen off.

SmidMasterNasty

I mean they cant be switched off, but cheers for the advice. So if i change the motor should solve it? Also is there any issues with the linkage bt the motor and wiper and switch.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Well, I'd be in there with a multimeter checking the switch for function first of all. If faulty I'd open up the casing and see if I could either fix the switch or replace it. But I'm OK with electrics.

If you go for a motor from a scrapyard it's worth checking the switch before you buy.

With the wipers in the rest position, the switch should be open.

There's no history on this forum of people reporting wiring faults, so I'd say you were really out of luck if it was the wiring loom itself. Have you had any work done around the dashboard or the rear of the engine bay recently? If so, it's possible that the wiring may have been disturbed, but pretty unlikely.

SmidMasterNasty

the motor has now been changed and the same issues, someone said it might be the electronic box below the passenger side front seat if they have become damp can cause issues.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.