wobble taking off - exeo sport 10 plate

jakey boy

Jan 9, 2012
hi folks,
just got a white ten plate seat exeo sport 140 tdi, and starting to fall in love, really nice car to drive, maybe not very fast but economical and comfortable. the opposite of my civic type r it replaced.
anyway, when i start the car up and am sitting at idle, if i blip the throttle slightly the car kinda wobbles and rocks slightly, not good.
any other people have this sort of issue?
ive searched the forum, and a few audi forums but a few problems have been mentioned.
if i just take off like normal, i dont notice a thing. ive still got warranty till the end of march when its three years old so i plan to get it into my local dealer ( fife seat ) and get it checked out, and its 40k service and mot.
apart from this, i think its a cracking car.
anyone able to help me?
thanks for reading,
cheers
jakey boy

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
They all do this. it's because of the direction the engine is mounted (Longitudinal) and the fact that it's front wheel drive. Test drive another one and see for yourself.

jakey boy

Jan 9, 2012
They all do this. it's because of the direction the engine is mounted (Longitudinal) and the fact that it's front wheel drive. Test drive another one and see for yourself.

i managed to drive it all the way from rotherham to perth without noticing :rolleyes:
after looking on here a few owners have said similar, while on some audi forums they are on about replacing the dmf ( i only got it on saturday !!)
think i can put up with this, like i say im really enjoying the car.
thanks for the reply

jakey boy

Jan 9, 2012
I bought my Exeo CR170 with 3k miles on the clock, I test drove a few Exeo's before I bought mine and they all did it.

i bought the first one i saw, i just wanted it, bit impatient.
did it get any worse in the time you had the car or is it just really the nature of the beast?

Last edited:

Dark Andrew

Jan 25, 2011
The "wobble" rotating the car to one side is a common effect known as "torque effect", it's especially common in propeller powered aircraft where the clockwise movement of the propeller causes the plane itself to rotate anti-clockwise (Newton's law of something or other states that "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"). It's noticeable in the Exeo because the engine is mounted longitudinally (ie. from front to back) and so when the flywheel rotates in one direction (say clockwise) the car's body wants to rotate in the other direction. In 90% of other cars you will not notice it so much because the engine is mounted transversely (ie. sideways) and the effect manifests itself as a raising or dipping of the front of the car instead.

There is also another issue with the Exeo which is not so expected and that is a judder when engaging a cold clutch. I have inquired about this through a couple of dealers and through this forum and it would appear that this is caused by condensation on the clutch plates, due to the clutch housing being vented, and is made more noticeable by the longitudinal engine/clutch/gearbox layout of the Exeo. I have been assured that this is not a problem and as it seems to go away once everything is nice and warm I'm quite happy to live with it and put it down to being a "characteristic" of the car.

Last edited:

jakey boy

Jan 9, 2012
The "wobble" rotating the car to one side is a common effect known as "torque effect", it's especially common in propeller powered aircraft where the clockwise movement of the propeller causes the plane itself to rotate anti-clockwise (Newton's law of something or other states that "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"). It's noticeable in the Exeo because the engine is mounted longitudinally (ie. from front to back) and so when the flywheel rotates in one direction (say clockwise) the car's body wants to rotate in the other direction. In 90% of other cars you will not notice it so much because the engine is mounted transversely (ie. sideways) and the effect manifests itself as a raising or dipping of the front of the car instead.

many thanks dark andrew

jinidos

Sep 10, 2010
dendermonde (Belgium)
cheers jinidos,
it was pictures of your exeo that made me want a white one!!
you still running white rs4s ?

No i'm running 19' S-LINE now. Lowered with eibach pro kit.

DSC02258_zps4705eb7a.jpg

jakey boy

Jan 9, 2012
thanks for posting the new pic, your car looks fantastic!!
im hopeless at posting pics on forums :confused:
ill try and sort something out and show you guys my motor

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.