Womble II A/C Compressor defective

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
Guys,

My Alhambra's A/C unit was recharged today - but the compressor seems to be playing up - think its had its day....

So question - GSF Car parts?? or anywhere else - Someone must have been here before any comments for me... I have done a brief search, already but my new Vista install is doing my head in at the mo....

Goz

running on the dark stuff
Oct 28, 2004
North Hampshire
Hi Stu,
Mine went earlier this year, haven't replaced it yet, but did a search on compressors can't remember the specific make but did find a website of a company in Cheltenham (I think that did them and for around £300) they are used on lots of makes of car including Volvo's. Sorry I can't be more helpful, If I remember the name will update later.

Before you start tearing it down and replacing the compressor who did the refill? and how much gas/oil did they stick in? too much or too little will cause all sorts of problems! I have read of a certain fast fix place overloading a couple of systems as they read the spec sheet wrong! twin ac not single! :headhurt:

why did the system need regassing? loss of gas/leak? what led you to believe that it needed regassing? the system on the bama and all other members of the family isnt exactly known for it's efficiency or reliabilty! there is an acceptable loss figure for the system over a set time period, if the loss is more drastic then you have a leak? there are alloy pipes in the system that fail due to stresses exerted on them when the engine roll restrictor fails and then they corrode under the clamps that hold them in place!
the magnetic clutch is another common failure! the dealer will tell you thats not a replaceable part but it can be done if you can get the parts!
if you look on the ford galaxy site there are pages and pages of reported problems and the fixes! some cheap some bloody expensive :headhurt: either way good luck

Goz

running on the dark stuff
Oct 28, 2004
North Hampshire
oooh, same firm I found independantly

In that case... you're a winner :)

mOrk, was that the feint sound of humble pie being swallowed?:cheeky: was the only way I could get the link.

fredt - mine was looked at by ex VW main dealer mechanic who mentioned that servicing of the a/c pump is not done during the normal service by Seat etc (?) and has been regassed twice in 6 months by separate VAG independents.

Stu B

DarthWombleIII & WombleII
We re gassed, as it just didnt seem to be blowing cold air out - not that it has ever been as 'cold' as the Leon's A/C ... This just didnt seem to make a difference, so they drued the system, apparently is was very wet?? - Dried - coldish, then nothing, just like the AC wasnt working, yet it id (or should be) - think I will have to get this checked again

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
mOrk, was that the feint sound of humble pie being swallowed?:cheeky: was the only way I could get the link.

fredt - mine was looked at by ex VW main dealer mechanic who mentioned that servicing of the a/c pump is not done during the normal service by Seat etc (?) and has been regassed twice in 6 months by separate VAG independents.

only if you're daft enough to beleive everything you read on ebay :whistle:

I'll call you tomorrow stu

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.