Won't start on slope and it's cold!

lfc2606

I really hope you can help. I have a 52 reg Leon Cupra (facelift model) and I have a problem starting the car when it's cold AND when the car is slightly on a gradient.

My local dealer has had the car in twice and twice, despite it being cold, have they failed not to start it (hence my assumption about it being on a slope).

The symptoms are that I put the key in, all the lights come on the dash okay but then when I turn the key - nothing. It doesn't tick over it just sits there doing absolutely nothing. There have been times when, by holding the key it eventually fires up and is then fine BUT when the car is on reasonable slope and it's cold, I could hold it all day to no avail.

I recently returned to Heathrow where the temp was -3 and the car had been sat on the carpark for nearly 4 weeks - the car park was flat and she started first time!!!

My only thoughts are whether or not some liquid is in the engine somewhere and leaking out of where it is needed. Combine it with temps of less than 0 and I get nothing. Parked on slope - temp > 0 - okay. Parked on flat, temp < 0 - okay.

Please help because I've had enough of this now and if I can't get to the bottom of it, I'm trading it in......

Many Thanks

cupra r rob

Oct 2, 2006
Ive been having this prob in the past week, coil packs just gone so im hopeing its connected with that.

It was starting most times, but every so often it would just click and took about 10 attempts to start.

Leon.SJ

Naturally aspirated...
Oct 16, 2006
South Bucks.
I've had a sort of similar problem, if it was less than about 5deg then she took at least 5 or 6 attempts to start. The engine would turn over but not catch, and sometimes it would start in some sort of safe mode, with a really rough idle and a disabled accelerator! Re-starting again, she'd be fine. [:@]
Took it to Watford Seat and they diagnosed two faulty relays, and since they were changed I've had no problems... :rolleyes: I always parked her facing downhill though in case I had to bump start!!
Hope yours is nothing too major :confused:

charvel

I have had a similar issue when it's cold. It will start but the tickover is on really really low revs, and I get a knocking sound from under the bonnet - almost like it's only firing on one cylinder or something. The second I rev it and let off, it returns to normal tickover.
I have a 52 facelift cupra as well

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.