wont start, sparks once ?

ScottyboyGti

hi, can any one help me. i have a seat ibiza gti 2.0 16v and iv got a problem with it it turns over but wont fire up, iv checked for a spark and every time i turn it over it will only spark once but no more ? iv tried a different coil thats not it. iv also replaced the crank angle sensor, the only thing i can think to try next is the distrubitor ? has anyone ever came across or had this problem ? can anyone help ? cheers:confused:

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
just fires as it should but dies immediately ?

if so i'd look for the spare key and test that if not look at getting the immobilizer re-synced

ScottyboyGti

na not the plugs mate, immobiliser re-synced ? is that to do with the key, i aint gotta spare ?

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Sounds to me like a non-fuel issue, one way of checking is with the help of a friend...detach the air intake from the throttle body, have a friend spray 'sure start' aerosol, or carb cleaner as its flammable continuously into the throttle body and turn the engine over. If it starts and runs for longer than it was before then you can rule out an ignition fault as its a non-fuel issue, problem is finding out why.

It could be the fuel pump, or the fuel pump relay, or any other related sensor which tells the pump to run (immobiliser as mentioned).

ScottyboyGti

yeah ive tried easy start into the throttle body already mate its not fuel related its summit to do with the sparkin cause i only get one spark each time i turn it over but no more ? dunno if it might be summit to do with the key n car immobiliser cause thats gotta chip in which links it to the car aint it ?

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
It sounds that way, im afraid its not my strong point!

Id agree its something interferring with the ignition circuit rather than your traditional mechanical fault.

I found this link;

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=82688

Different issue, but ive just managed to reset my central locking remote on my ibiza key, wasnt working for ages. Seems likely that if the central locking ability can go after a while that the immoboliser might do the same?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Different issue, but ive just managed to reset my central locking remote on my ibiza key, wasnt working for ages. Seems likely that if the central locking ability can go after a while that the immoboliser might do the same?

both run on seperate systems

without a spare you'll need the single one recoded with vagcom or dealers 1551

you'll find a small black chip or glass tube inside they Y part of the key

is its not there it wont work and they have a habit of needing recoding

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Hence why i said 'different issue.'

I was just making the point that if one system that runs on a type of unique signal code can need reprogramming then seems likely other systems can fail too.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
its the spark once that points to immob issues for me - sorry rod didnt read it properly and realise it was yours you were on about :) but ya right both systems are prone to just dropping out

but even with that gone duff mind you'll start up then die but still starts if it helps scotty

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
This is something im not too knowledgeable about, im just brainstorming ideas so hear me out.

Cars have a fuel relay, my understanding is when you turn the key the relay operates the fuel pump for a couple of seconds then turns it off (one click then another), then when you turn the key to start the engine the relay clicks again to keep the pump operating while the engine is running. Could it be something related to that?

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
This is something im not too knowledgeable about, im just brainstorming ideas so hear me out.

Cars have a fuel relay, my understanding is when you turn the key the relay operates the fuel pump for a couple of seconds then turns it off (one click then another), then when you turn the key to start the engine the relay clicks again to keep the pump operating while the engine is running. Could it be something related to that?

pretty much spot on there - some models prime up on the door opening as well, albeit not recommended unless done as safe as possible but removing the fuel pipes and operating the ignition would prove fuel supply was ok at least to the injector pack anyway

16v has 2 pipes coming up from the drivers chassis to connect on just to the rith of the air filter - 1 is supply - the other is return to tank

No worries flipper
:lol::redface: ooops sorry - edited ,by the way you got a pm

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Id like to know what the solution is also as i bought a trade car saab which did exactly that just after i bought it!!!!

also do all mk2 ibizas have an immobaliser fitted? ive got a cupra, a little concerning as im crap with that side of cars.

Last edited:

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i changed the battery in my key once, and the transponder chip fell out, luckily i picked it up, but the car wouldnt run without it. it would start then die after 1 second, then not start at all

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.