won't start

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
8v conked out on me this morning, middle of town in rush hour, nightmare. strated to splutter and no amount of right foot would catch her from stalling.
Won't start now, even though it is turning over. Just been serviced with new plug/oil/cambelt two months ago. Had a problem last year that turned out to be the coil and have done the throttle valve cleaning etc..

I think it may be fuel related, anyone out there got any similar experience?

Towed home at the moment, so sitting looking sorry for herself in the drive at the moment. Probably be the weekend before I can get some light to work on her and rule out the leads and dizzy cap/rotor arm.

Always something coming into winter.

Norm for beezas:

Rotor arm
Dizzy Cap
Leads
Plugs
Fuel pump relay....

I just got mine started, i replaced everything got a thread called 'help me please'

we took the top half of the engine off and stuck it back together last night and hey presto....magic....

might have had something on wrong...

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
andythom said:
Norm for beezas:

Rotor arm
Dizzy Cap
Leads
Plugs
Fuel pump relay....

I just got mine started, i replaced everything got a thread called 'help me please'

we took the top half of the engine off and stuck it back together last night and hey presto....magic....

might have had something on wrong...

plugs done recently, so suppose will have to go through the list of other things. Think it's fuel more than electrics cause of the way it stalled in full flow and then died, but you never know. Is the fuel pump / relay expensive for parts and is it a job for the garage or DIY (semi competent, but don't fancy blowing the petrol tank up in the process!!)

PbBooM

have u tried ur spare key? had to get mine recoded so it would turn the immobiliser off

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
trusty ibiza ay.
Mines being a barstuard at the moment. ill start it, it cuts out then wont start the next time i try but then starts fine on the third attempt. :confused:

stevo said:
plugs done recently, so suppose will have to go through the list of other things. Think it's fuel more than electrics cause of the way it stalled in full flow and then died, but you never know. Is the fuel pump / relay expensive for parts and is it a job for the garage or DIY (semi competent, but don't fancy blowing the petrol tank up in the process!!)

Fuel pump relay is next to the fuses......easy to replace and inexpensive...

Check haynes for the exact position, i checked mine when i had my problems.....

As said could be immobiliser or coil packs if just stopped on running.

:)

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
PbBooM said:
have u tried ur spare key? had to get mine recoded so it would turn the immobiliser off

will try that one at lunchtime. Worth a shot, but doubtful. The main key still works the remote locking etc and it cut out when running which was strange. Still think its on the fuel side of things, but until I can get through the standard list, I won't know.

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
Beastie is in with my mechanic uncle and slowly testing stuff in between jobs. No spark at the plugs, so that probably rules out the fuel side of things. Given him the spare key to try in cae it is the immobiliser key chip on the main key, but closing in on the problem looks like, dizzy, leads or Coil pack. Coil is only 11 months old, do hopefully not that again.
fingers crossed it's that simple, missing her already after 2 days, 1.1 corsa not quite the same as the beezer!!

I went 2 weeks without mine because of busy at work, but daddy was on hols so i have his A4... :)

No spark at plugs?

Ignition coil
leads
plugs
dizzy cap (Maybe moisture, puddle/cold then quick heat up)

they are the most likely and most inexpensive.....apart from the coil which is 60 bucks....still compared to 100-200....

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
Sorted

Back on the road again today :funk:

Coil again!!! 13 months after replacing it, the new one had gone with no warning.
Been replaced and pick her up today after the battery has been fully charged up.
Getting trade price of £42 for the new one and only 1/2 hour of labour, so can't complain too much.

Anyone any idea if there is something that causes the coil pack to go, or is it just pot luck with the coil you get??

stevo

Dec 18, 2002
Aberdeen
Visit site
fingers crossed I've a good one now then, doing alot of distance travelling lately and been lucky that all breakdowns have been within 5 miles of home. Would hate for it to go 200 miles from home.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.