Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are now available from our online store.

worried about my mpg, around 32mpg!

Discussion in 'Ibiza Mk4' started by kanyewest, Nov 29, 2018.

1. kanyewest

kanyewest Senior Member

my car is a 1.4 petrol and the whole time ive owned it ive felt like im spending a bit too much on petrol, but i do enjoy driving so thought it was just because i was out a lot. i recorded the last few fuel ups and im getting around 32.5mpg from it and i dont exactly rag the car around that would justify such a thirsty engine. anything to look out for when the cars behaving like this or should i book it into a garage on my day off?

edit:

and just to add to this, when the needle got to half a tank, i hadnt even reached 150 miles.

2. R3k1355

R3k1355 Senior Member

Your location says USA, so are you talking USmpg or IMPmpg ???

3. Legojon

Legojon This is the last mod, I promise.
    Staff Member

Also depends on what kind of driving you do. I do a lot of short journeys (cars throwing in extra fuel for the warmup) and sitting in traffic which kills my MPG. Cruising on the motorway would stretch it a lot further.

4. Chino_UK

Chino_UK Team Creatine

As above, is that around town or motorway mileage? Man I'd kill for 32mpg around town, I get sub-25mpg lol

5. kanyewest

kanyewest Senior Member

bit of both, its mostly around town but i do enough motorway miles for me to be concerned :cry:my engine is teeny, i was expecting around 36-38mpg

6. Legojon

Staff Member

As my cars been in the shop. I've spent the last 120 miles driving round in a Toyota Avensis 2018 1.6 diesel (with stop start). The trip computer says I averaged 42mpg.

kanyewest likes this.
  7. Craigmbp

Craigmbp Member

If you're driving 70-80mph it's probably about right bearing in mind it's an older car now. My 1.8 20vt FR does around 38-40 mpg if I'm cruising at 60mph, 70-80 mph it does around 30 mpg, if I start booting it, it can go down to 7-10 mpg if I give it some beans. Mine is a stage 2+ though

8. Brimfull

Brimfull Senior Member

25 around town and 35-37 on a run in my fr 2.0 tfsi

9. kanyewest

kanyewest Senior Member

idk why my location is on usa, im typing this from manchester

10. Bedlam

Bedlam Full Member

Are you using a VPN connection to the Internet, to disguise your true location (I am in York not the Republic of Ireland using my VPN)

11. kanyewest

kanyewest Senior Member

i am not, its been like this for a while and its strange but im not fussed

12. RUM4MO

RUM4MO Senior Member

Ha Ha! A Polo forum I am on lists my "status" a "diamond bling bling" member because of the number of postings I've made, now I was not bothered at all by that as it is mainly a friendly forum, but a grumpy old new guy took offence to it and thought that I must be a proper S--t for giving myself that name - I had to enlighten him that he was completely wrong in as much as I did not give myself that name - it was given to me!

Maybe you have been recognised as a Trumpite - I have a cousin in USA but they are definitely not Trump followers!

kanyewest and Bedlam like this.
  13. R3k1355

R3k1355 Senior Member

Might be worth getting fault codes read with VCDS, could be something like a Lambda playing up and causing over-fuelling.

14. Legojon

Staff Member

I think it also depends on what revs your car sits at on the motorway when cruising at 70. Mine's about 3-3.5k which is quite high, so effectively constantly on boost.