worried about my mpg, around 32mpg!

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
my car is a 1.4 petrol and the whole time ive owned it ive felt like im spending a bit too much on petrol, but i do enjoy driving so thought it was just because i was out a lot. i recorded the last few fuel ups and im getting around 32.5mpg from it and i dont exactly rag the car around that would justify such a thirsty engine. anything to look out for when the cars behaving like this or should i book it into a garage on my day off?

edit:

and just to add to this, when the needle got to half a tank, i hadnt even reached 150 miles.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Also depends on what kind of driving you do. I do a lot of short journeys (cars throwing in extra fuel for the warmup) and sitting in traffic which kills my MPG. Cruising on the motorway would stretch it a lot further.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
As above, is that around town or motorway mileage? Man I'd kill for 32mpg around town, I get sub-25mpg lol
bit of both, its mostly around town but i do enough motorway miles for me to be concerned :cry:my engine is teeny, i was expecting around 36-38mpg

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
As my cars been in the shop. I've spent the last 120 miles driving round in a Toyota Avensis 2018 1.6 diesel (with stop start). The trip computer says I averaged 42mpg.

Reactions: kanyewest

Craigmbp

Dec 3, 2018
If you're driving 70-80mph it's probably about right bearing in mind it's an older car now. My 1.8 20vt FR does around 38-40 mpg if I'm cruising at 60mph, 70-80 mph it does around 30 mpg, if I start booting it, it can go down to 7-10 mpg if I give it some beans. Mine is a stage 2+ though

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Are you using a VPN connection to the Internet, to disguise your true location (I am in York not the Republic of Ireland using my VPN)
i am not, its been like this for a while and its strange but im not fussed

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Ha Ha! A Polo forum I am on lists my "status" a "diamond bling bling" member because of the number of postings I've made, now I was not bothered at all by that as it is mainly a friendly forum, but a grumpy old new guy took offence to it and thought that I must be a proper S--t for giving myself that name - I had to enlighten him that he was completely wrong in as much as I did not give myself that name - it was given to me!

Maybe you have been recognised as a Trumpite - I have a cousin in USA but they are definitely not Trump followers!

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
bit of both, its mostly around town but i do enough motorway miles for me to be concerned :cry:my engine is teeny, i was expecting around 36-38mpg

Might be worth getting fault codes read with VCDS, could be something like a Lambda playing up and causing over-fuelling.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I think it also depends on what revs your car sits at on the motorway when cruising at 70. Mine's about 3-3.5k which is quite high, so effectively constantly on boost.

James St Patrick

Jan 2, 2019
West Midlands
04 Ibiza Cupra R PD160, All stock minus a map and that only does 20.8MPG around town..... on a run only does 35 ish MPG, ahhh, I thought diesels was meant to be cheap to run? Worse than my RX8 for fuel and I didn't think there was no topping that with how bad that was, lol

Reactions: kanyewest

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
Might be worth getting fault codes read with VCDS, could be something like a Lambda playing up and causing over-fuelling.

good idea. im going to get it checked out next month. ive got a new fuel filter and battery among other things in the post, so when im getting those fitted ill just have the car serviced and get him to test the sensors for me

I think it also depends on what revs your car sits at on the motorway when cruising at 70. Mine's about 3-3.5k which is quite high, so effectively constantly on boost.

yeah thats a good point too. on the motorway im usually between 2500-3500. at 70, i think it hits just over 3000 so it could be that

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
04 Ibiza Cupra R PD160, All stock minus a map and that only does 20.8MPG around town..... on a run only does 35 ish MPG, ahhh, I thought diesels was meant to be cheap to run? Worse than my RX8 for fuel and I didn't think there was no topping that with how bad that was, lol
I would have been over the moon with 20.8 mpg in my rx8, the best i used to get was between 12 and 15 mpg

Last edited:

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
ive purchased a £4 vagcom cable off ebay, so hopefully that doesnt brick my ECU when i use it to diagnose the sensor :hide:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.