Would it be wise to get a cambelt change

vngtx

definately would want doing before it stretches enough to make the timing a tooth out. its only an hour job and 15-20 quid for belt.

vngtx

maybe a little more as some people take longer. probably looking about 90ish inc vat.

vngtx

45 minutes is my best time on the 8v but my timing is always out :(

TiggsGTI

Rust is fashionable...
Jun 10, 2010
Stirling
www.facebook.com
Ah that was going to be my question. I think it's my timing belt which is now making a very loud chh chh chh noise as it turns and I was thinking about getting it changed. Does it have to be urgent? My mot is 28th July will it last until then or i it likely to snap?
Sorry for hijacking the post

vngtx

thats more likely to be on of the other belts. but its if is the timing belt making that noise get it changed as soon as possible as its no fun repairing an engine after belt has snapped.

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
he? cars cannot be called he :p

yeah i would get it changed mate :)

mat did you get your ticket for GTI Inters?

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
probably going to change mine this week, got a bearing noise and i think its cambelt tensioner if i remember i might take some pictures, kind of a rough how to, although they are very straight forward.

vngtx

hardest part is the dizzy pulley. the crank and cam pulley are easy to line up.

Mat Lock

Carless Wonder
May 24, 2007
Purley, Surrey
www.mat-lock.net
yep, ticket and stand pass !! I want to get this fixed before I go though, don't fancy a snapped belt at ***mph on the motorway.

Mine also makes a cyclical chuffle chuffle every 1/2 second. I am wondering what that is too.

vngtx

i reckon that noise is actually the brake discs. but can never be sure.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
mines a 16v, dizzy runs off the cam.

but yes 8v's the pully for the dizzy does move, not really a problem if you mark it with tipex or sumat and then take a picture for back up.

vngtx

i think it was out before i even took belt off. had tipex timing marks on mine beforehand. i really have no clue where it should be now.