Would like some buying advice please!

Jamie7

Oct 5, 2011
Cornwall
Hello,

My first car was a MK4 formula sport 6 years ago and I want to go back to the Ibiza life.

I am wanting a FR between the years of 2014-16 and I have a few questions before I make my decision!

Is the 1.4 tsi worth the extra money over the 1.2 tsi?

Does the 1.2 tsi within these years have a cambelt or timing chain? Same question for the 1.4 tsi?

Is the technology pack worth paying the extra money and hunting for?

Any known issues I need to look out?

Apologies if these questions have been answered else where on this forum, I have given it a quick search and I was unsuccessful.

Thanks in advance,

Jamie

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The 1.2TSI 90PS and 110PS are 16V engines with the turbo - ie the exhaust at the rear of the engine, so closest to the passenger cell.

It really depends on what you want from your Ibiza, the 1.2TSI 110PS has a 6 speed gear box if you get a manual box and that drives along quite nicely. Annoyingly the cam belt should get replaced after 5 years which is pants but there you go.

I'm not sure if the 1.4TSI ACT has a chain or a belt, I can't comment on the technology pack as it is a Polo 1.2TSI 110PS 6 speed box that my wife has, she fancied an Ibiza but I said that she was too old for that, my oldest daughter has a late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V 86PS and I am suggesting that she gets an FR next time, maybe even soon if there are cars being dumped out prior to the September 1st deadline for "non compliant" to the EU harmonised regs for light road vehicles.

On that point, maybe you should sort looking out for people selling/trading in their newish Ibiza FRs to get a discount on one of these dumped cars, and that should be getting reflected on the price you need to pay?

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The 1.2 range was updated in Sept 2015 from 1.2/8V/105bhp (chain)(+optional DSG) to 1.2/16V/90bhp (belt) 1.2/16V/110bhp (belt).

The chain motor had problems up to model year 2012. But newer examples of it are sweet little engines - very smooth and more powerful than advertised. Also REVO claim to remap it to 144bhp.

The Belt drive 1.2 is not quite so refined (certainly in the brand new Leon I had it in).

Last edited:

Jamie7

Oct 5, 2011
Cornwall
The 1.2TSI 90PS and 110PS are 16V engines with the turbo - ie the exhaust at the rear of the engine, so closest to the passenger cell.

It really depends on what you want from your Ibiza, the 1.2TSI 110PS has a 6 speed gear box if you get a manual box and that drives along quite nicely. Annoyingly the cam belt should get replaced after 5 years which is pants but there you go.

I'm not sure if the 1.4TSI ACT has a chain or a belt, I can't comment on the technology pack as it is a Polo 1.2TSI 110PS 6 speed box that my wife has, she fancied an Ibiza but I said that she was too old for that, my oldest daughter has a late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 16V 86PS and I am suggesting that she gets an FR next time, maybe even soon if there are cars being dumped out prior to the September 1st deadline for "non compliant" to the EU harmonised regs for light road vehicles.

On that point, maybe you should sort looking out for people selling/trading in their newish Ibiza FRs to get a discount on one of these dumped cars, and that should be getting reflected on the price you need to pay?
Thank you for your reply, some great advice. Can you expand on the new regulations that are coming into place?

Cheers

Jamie

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The 1.4 range had a Turbo+Supercharged 147bhp + DSG until Nov 2013. What a combo - 16V with chain drive, a Twincharger and a DSG - what could possibly go wrong? :) .

then the 138bhp ACT motor till Aug15
then the 150bhp ecoTSI till Oct16

These later EA211 type are belt drive twin cam engines.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The new maybe world wide regulations demand that all cars sold after September 1st 2018 must have been certified via the newer regulations and that will include having a petrol particulate filter fitted and the results from the newer version of emissions testing method which is meant to represent real world driving, and the fuel consumption will also have to reflect real world driving.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
The 1.2 range was updated in Sept 2015 from 1.2/8V/105bhp (chain)(+optional DSG) to 1.2/16V/90bhp (belt) 1.2/16V/110bhp (belt).

The chain motor had problems up to model year 2012. But newer examples of it are sweet little engines - very smooth and more powerful than advertised. Also REVO claim to remap it to 144bhp.

The Belt drive 1.2 is not quite so refined (certainly in the brand new Leon I had it in).

Flipping heck, did the Ibiza not get the new 1.2TSI 16V engines until September 2015? When I ordered the Polo for my wife in April 2015, it was said to be touch and go if she would get that engine and not the replacement 3 cylinder 1.0TSI for a Polo being built in July 2015 - as it turned out there seemed to be issues with the 3 cylinder engine manufacturing that delayed its introduction as a replacement until maybe late 2017 in the Polo.

Comment about the 1.2 belt driven engine, I find it to be very smooth, but, a 4 valve a cylinder engine will always be a bit "softer" torque wise at lowish revs, so the older 1.2 8V chain driven engine will beat it there. I just find it annoying that VW Group and maybe others are turning away from chain drives instead of beefing them up to make them fit for use over a long period, there was a story that Skoda, who build these small engines, forced their chain drive suppliers to reduce costs, and that was done by deliberately extending the service life of the chain link punching machines - and the rest is history. Now if VW Group have ever forced Skoda to stop that nonsense I don't know as VW Group needed to pick up the tab for all the rework to the engines that forceful customers made them sort out FOC, although it seems that plenty of people just paid up and smiled, well sort of!

'& Son' managed

Third Party
Mar 2, 2018
South Coast
Too many still have complete faith in the old 'Timing chain good/Cambelt bad' mantra.

There are plenty of both good and poor examples with both types, regardless of which
company made the engine. What counts is how it was designed and then manufactured.

Research into individual engine codes will help make a more informed decision and
hopefully explode a few myths along the way.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The 1.2 EA211 engines were part of the last facelift on the Mk5. The same facelift that introduced the 1.0/75 and 1.0/95 triples.

The previous 1.2TSI was known for chain problems in its early years. The last recall/service bulletin was 2012 I think. I had a 2014 build for nearly 4 years and 35000 miles with no chain problems or rattles.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
WLTP only applies to cars registered from September 2018, so is irrelevant to Ibiza Mk5.

Yes as stated by me, but the context in which I introduced that fact was to advise the OP that there might just be an increased flow/sale of cars just before that deadline that should improve life for people further back the car buying chain, as in this case someone thinking about buying a used MK5.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
You really need feedback from the drivers of the ACT or ECOtsi models.
As per the other thread running the 1.4 Twincharged is possibly more of a risk than I would take with my own money.

Don't know what the tech pack involves but the alcantara upgrade improves the interior no end.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Alcantara, yes I noticed that on some of the new Ibizas that were around when I was looking to buy my wife a new Polo in April 2015, I like Alcantara, it looks good, wears well and is easy to clean when someone messes it up, my old Passat 4Motion had that and my S4 has it so I'm more than slightly biased!
The highest level of trim option in Polo at that time was Leatherette, yes, plastic sides and Alcantara centre sections - and they were asking a fortune for it, so wifie's car did not get that! The new about to be launched Audi A1 can be had with "lovely" Leatherette - maybe it is seat covering of the future, hope not!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Tech Pack on Ibizas is usually just 6.5 inch Sat Nav and DAB radio (I think) with CD player in the glove box + 1 empty SD card slot for your music. The twin charged (old 1.4 TSI) seem to have durability issues, whilst the newer 1.4 EcoTSI 150PS with ACT, seems more reliable, then again, the latter has only been around a few years. I'm guessing you are looking for a non-DSG model, in which the 1.4 EcoTSi is both fast and economical and not avaliable in DSG.

1.2 TSI (older) and 1.0 TSI (more current) comes in power outputs of 90/105/110 and 90/95/110 respectively. The higher power outputs are of course reserved for FR spec (the 'sporty' trim line for Ibiza), which also includes the aforementioned 1.4 EcoTSI 150PS.
My personal opinion of course...the best looking rims are the 17 inch black Targus rims avaliable as an option on the FRs only. If I'm not mistaken, the silver version of these were standard on 1.4 EcoTSi FRs. FRs also have twin visible exhausts and a small rear diffuser type thing on the back. If the owner has taken care of the car, the rear 2 exausts should be chrome and silver ish colour, but I have seen some that are completely black and covered with soot and carbon build up.

Some Ibizas you find, may rattle in places in the interior, or especially during low revs, but on the whole it's ok. Stock sound system is passable, and some rare models would come with Seat Sound system, which includes a sub in the boot, and perhaps even the 'optional headlight upgrade' of Bi-Xenons with 'proper' LED daytime running lights. I have both, the lights make the car more expensive than it is (haha).

Most of the engines in the Ibiza range are economical (if you are not always stuck in traffic).

On a separate note, my Alor Blue Ibiza SC 1.0 EcoTSI DSG is going back to the lease company in Dec (would be 2 years old with ~12-13k miles), it's fully speced, I wonder if it will go to auction or resold at the dealer.

carlos47

May 3, 2018
A point to note on your reg range, the updated 1.2 from Sept 2015 got rid of the sat nav on a pedestal, cabin looks better. I test drove 67 plate 1.2TSI 90ps and 110ps and the difference is noticeable even if you're not a speed demon.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
The stated spec is generic. This car is better. It has the black pack with 17 inch Tagus wheels. I think that possibly came with the alcantara too.

camelspyyder

2 SEAT-er
Jun 26, 2014
Alcantara fitted with black pack as far as I can see. Car looks nice if pricey. I've just seen a 27000 miler standard FR under £7000. I think these FR Black special editions are fetching big money, especially since I remember our local dealer knocking them out pretty cheap when new.

Last edited:
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise