Would you swap a 13 plate Ibiza FR 1.2 tsi for

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
a 2009 Exeo 2.0 tdi 143ps Sport ?

Strange question I know but would you ?

I really like my Ibiza its a great little car, goes pretty well does 40 mpg running about in town and 45 on longer journeys and the tax is £30 a year.

But I miss the shove of a diesel - am I mad to be even looking at a car that is 4 years older ?

My car has 12 months warranty left and the 09 Exeo would come with 12 mnths used warranty...

Don't even need a bigger car !

Your thoughts please !

julianat57

Jun 19, 2010
Stafford
Hi, at each of my main dealer services on my 2010 SE 143 Tdi ST I have had a Seat petrol courtesy car and on each occasion I am so glad to get my Exeo back. You try a test drive and you will instantly see why......Julian

ajf3011

Jan 30, 2015
Burnham
Whether a diesel's worth it for you depends a lot on the mileage and type of driving you do.
With particulate filters on modern diesels you need to be doing fairly regular motorway speed runs for them to regenerate which they can't do in stop start traffic or short runs.
If you only do a small mileage or mostly round town driving you'll probably be better off with a petrol, the Exeo won't be any more economical around town than your Ibiza.

That said, I'm with you on much preferring the torquey feel of a diesel engine.

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
Hmm I'd not thought about the DPF as I thought they weren't troublesome on the CR Diesel engine.

I do a lot of short journeys.....

ajf3011

Jan 30, 2015
Burnham
There's certainly a lot less reported problems with DPF's on CR engines compared to the PD.
However it is the nature of DPF's on any engines that they require certain conditions to regenerate, so lots of short runs without a motorway run now and again could cause the same problems on a CR as any other engine.

Can only speak personally, but if I was only doing short runs I'd avoid anything with a DPF.
As I say, that's only my opinion and others may disagree.

Have you considered a petrol Exeo? Has the same 200hp 2.0 turbo as the Octavia VRS so not lacking in poke.
They're rare but can be found if you keep your eyes peeled.

RichL

Oct 21, 2003
Essex, UK
Visit site
Coming from a Golf IV to an Exeo one thing I have noticed is the Exeo has that "Big car feel"
It's only about an inch wider than my Golf and about 18" longer (most of which appears to be forward of the front wheels :D ), but it feels a lot bigger inside.
It's also a lot better insulated and rides better than the Golf so the sensation of speed and movement is a bit muted, which makes B roads less fun but motorways more relaxing.

It's also got a longitudinal mounted engine, so the car rocks when you rev it just like a proper car should :D

savery

Feb 20, 2015
I agree with the above in that an Exeo diesel is not the right car for short distance driving, to be honest I'd avoid any diesel for short distance driving. The engine will rarely warm up, meaning you should avoid hitting the high rev bands while the turbo is cold IIRC. I would choose a powerful N/A petrol car like a BMW 330 or even a V8 Audi if you want to hoon it around town, which you should want to do :)

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
Thanks folks - my journey to work is 4 miles so it's really not going to be good for a diesel - might keep my eye out for the 2.0T petrol !

MasterKey

New Exeo owner
Nov 26, 2011
Gloucestershire, UK
I've had mine for just over 3 years now. Most of my trips in that time have been short commutes (2 to 3 miles), but I get in a longer trip (50+ miles) every few weeks, plus a tank draining trip every few months.

I've had no problems at all with the DPF (or pretty much anything else). I've had the occasional regen triggered, but never any warning lights.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.