Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Wrap prices getting silly?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Chat' started by ChrisM75, Aug 27, 2019.

1. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Active Member

I wanted a paint protection wrap on the front bumper only of my Cupra, mainly because its a lease and only 2 months in already has 2 chips.

So far ive had 3 quotes all in the £350-400 range. Am I going insane or is that just daft? I can get it resprayed for less than that if need be, and a wrap can damage paint itself, which defeats the object.

I thought the point of a PPF wrap was to protect the paint and save you on having to get a respray done, as a cheaper alternative.

2. GordonMcC

GordonMcC Active Member

PPF is more expensive than normal colour changing wraps ( from what iv seen)

3. TheSwede

TheSwede Active Member

No meaning doing wrap for this huge overpriced cost. If necessary, respray the bad parts when the problem occurs :)!

/Peter

4. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Active Member

Exactly what i was thinking. One place had a 2005 focus in there getting it done. Full front end, I mean, why? Must have cost more than the car was worth!

5. TheSwede

TheSwede Active Member

PS There is always a risk that the paint will follow the wrap if you later tear it off. My advise -Don’t take that risk…Then you have to pay for repaint also.

/Peter

6. ChrisM75

ChrisM75 Active Member

It was been known to happen. It shouldn't if done properly, it more of a risk on plastic parts though. Im definitely skipping it. If it was half that price I might be tempted.

7. LR231998

LR231998 Active Member

If you have a McLaren SENNA worth god knows how much then get the PPF. It has its benefits; it reduces wash damage ie no swirling, some heal themselves when heated which removes any scratches/ swirls. As you say protects from stone chips. However it’s very expensive and not really worth it unless as I said you have a ridiculously expensive supercar. I have thought about getting my black pillars PPF’d previously to stop them getting so unsightly but not sure even how much just that would be.

Remember the cost of PPF isn’t only to apply the film itself but the preparation; washing/ Decon/ polish/ prepping/ then finally wrapping and finishing. As you can’t just wrap un-prepped paint. It’s the same with ceramic coatings; It’s a lot of actual prep work before you can even think about applying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GordonMcC likes this.
  8. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

I recently got a quote on fully wrapping my Honda, £2500-£3000 depending on the prep time, decided I’d wait and just paint the front end when the chips are really bad.

9. Seastormer

Seastormer Cupra 280/CBF1000

Sounds the way to go, it's a SEAT not a Ferrari, I still wash my car (sometimes) none of that detailing nonsense, and guess what it still goes as fast.

10. The Daily Meme

The Daily Meme Waiting...

I considered getting mine wrapped, or at least parts of it. never went through with it in the end.

Got the whole front and right side panels resprayed for £300 when someone in a hire van cut me up on a roundabout. The guy that did it for me is a mate of mine though but still. I would have had to pay that on top of the wrap had I got it done.