Written Off

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
Well thanks to some intellectually challenged 17 year old who doesn't know what GIVE WAY means, this is what my car now looks like:

car.jpg

Basically he was meant to stop and give way but instead he drive out at 40 mph into the road i was on, straight in front of me.
here's a diagram i drew for the insurance statement (he's blue, i'm red):

crash.jpg

Will find out today whether the car's a write off (looks like it is). Totally gutted cos even if they offer me the car value, I'm not gonna find another 1.9tdi like that.

So close to punching that kids face right in... he even tried to deny liability for a while.

Anyway, the message of the day is: watch out because everyone else drives like a wa*ker.

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
strewth dood........not looking good but at least your ok. i know its an old 'cliche' ,but its true and you might be able to salvage 'some' bits off the car before it goes (if it does)..

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
It actually happened last tuesday eve so the car's already been collected now. They've given me a sucky 1.6 Zafira for my replacement. Doesn't quite fill the shoes the beeza left behind but hey. I was ok, the airbag didnt go off but the belt held me in pretty firm. No injuries other than a sore neck (which he'll be paying for...). The kid was just covered by third party, and i left a pretty big SEAT shaped cave in the side of his car so I hope it costs him the earth to get it sorted. Mine's in the balance, insurance said it's a 50/50 about getting it repaired or scrapped, I'll know for definite today tho. Hoping it's a repair cos I've been looking already and it doesn't look i can buy myself a replacement :(

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
Will do mate. What's REALLY annoying is that I'd just wash/waxed/hoovered/generally made love to it 2 minutes before that. And i spent all weekend restoring those wheels i picked up from the scrappy, had new tires on all. So damn annoyin cos there's nothin i can do bout it now!

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Sorry to hear mate, similar thing hapened to me. fool wouldnt admit liability but in the end the police procecuted him. Took ages to sort out. makes you realise why insurance costs so much.
Take photographic evidence of the scene etc. it all helps out.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
lol, think you've found a new name for him andy.
Yeh, The Scrote had insurance, 3rd party. was actually his dad's car it turns out (vauxhall corsa, R plate like mine), and he was a named driver.

Happened in Leicester, anyone who's driven through Evington will feel my pain.

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Passat pulled out on me at the weekend.. If I didn't have a weird suspicion he was going to pull out, I would have hit him, I always watch drivers to see if they look to see what is coming, he didn't, just drove straight out.

Are you coll with your insurance? I mean everything named and stuff? They are not going to go "Hand on, you have non standard alloys, your insurance is void?" Hope not anyway!

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
slimjim said:
Passat pulled out on me at the weekend.. If I didn't have a weird suspicion he was going to pull out, I would have hit him, I always watch drivers to see if they look to see what is coming, he didn't, just drove straight out.

Are you coll with your insurance? I mean everything named and stuff? They are not going to go "Hand on, you have non standard alloys, your insurance is void?" Hope not anyway!

well the wheel's i'd just put on that day, like a few hours before. I swapped the old ones back after cos i didnt want them to take the car way with the BBS's on it. Had told them they would be goin on tho. They haven't complained bout anything so far, they just said to give them 48 hours to decide whether the car needs repair.

slimjim

Professional Muppet
Feb 1, 2005
Telford, UK
www.jameshardacre.com
Flameboydan said:
well the wheel's i'd just put on that day, like a few hours before. I swapped the old ones back after cos i didnt want them to take the car way with the BBS's on it. Had told them they would be goin on tho. They haven't complained bout anything so far, they just said to give them 48 hours to decide whether the car needs repair.
So you had time for a few "alterations" if needed ;)

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
slimjim said:
So you had time for a few "alterations" if needed ;)

Hahah, if needed yes. Had the car on my drive overnight before they collected. Forgot to take my air freshner out tho, damn magic tree cost me 60p, only got a few hours scent out of it.

supertaf

Flameboydan said:
It actually happened last tuesday eve so the car's already been collected now. They've given me a sucky 1.6 Zafira for my replacement. Doesn't quite fill the shoes the beeza left behind but hey. I was ok, the airbag didnt go off but the belt held me in pretty firm. No injuries other than a sore neck (which he'll be paying for...). The kid was just covered by third party, and i left a pretty big SEAT shaped cave in the side of his car so I hope it costs him the earth to get it sorted. Mine's in the balance, insurance said it's a 50/50 about getting it repaired or scrapped, I'll know for definite today tho. Hoping it's a repair cos I've been looking already and it doesn't look i can buy myself a replacement :(

To be honest I would be stunned if they repaired it, my immaculate 1996 Cordoba diesel looked mint compared to that and that was written off.....
It only cost me £250 to repair using second hand panels etc. but the insurance quote was 3 grand !!!!! No wonder they write so much off these days..

PawnStar

Sucks for you man.. so sorry to hear that.

Ont thing my dad taught me about driving:
"Think of everybody else on the road like an idiot, because they think you are one"

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
PawnStar said:
Sucks for you man.. so sorry to hear that.

Ont thing my dad taught me about driving:
"Think of everybody else on the road like an idiot, because they think you are one"

Is true. I'm usually REALLY careful, specially driving round here cos the streets are narrow and half the people in cars dont even have licenses. But guess you can't watch your back all the time, and when that day comes the idiots are waiting to jump you! :headhurt:

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
supertaf said:
To be honest I would be stunned if they repaired it, my immaculate 1996 Cordoba diesel looked mint compared to that and that was written off.....
It only cost me £250 to repair using second hand panels etc. but the insurance quote was 3 grand !!!!! No wonder they write so much off these days..

Well the panels I could do, but I dunno what state the engine is in, the bonnet was mangled shut so without ripping things apart i couldnt get inside to have a look.
Did they just give the car back to you or did you have to buy it back?

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Sorry to see that mate, my mk2 GTi was in a rear ender not long back and had less visible damage than that and i lost her. GET some autotrader and ebay adverts of them for sale so when they ring you up with an offer you can tell them what a replacements going to cost you. Makesure you tell em service history immac condition always washed, polished, loved, whatever and dont accept an offer from them until your happy.

Flameboydan

Oct 23, 2005
Swindon + Nottingham
Cupra Kid said:
Sorry to see that mate, my mk2 GTi was in a rear ender not long back and had less visible damage than that and i lost her. GET some autotrader and ebay adverts of them for sale so when they ring you up with an offer you can tell them what a replacements going to cost you. Makesure you tell em service history immac condition always washed, polished, loved, whatever and dont accept an offer from them until your happy.

Ah cheers mate, i didnt know there was bargain play in the matter. Thought it was just whatever they declared i had to take. well, i guess at least i'll have the value back. Anyone throw a price at me? not much luck on autotrader with 1.9tdi's. It's a 98 model, washed every week, immaculate inside+out, 70000 miles, not dealer serviced but done by myself every year.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.