WTCC 06: First season test for the SEAT Sport team

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
TWO DAYS’ WORK AT THE ALMERIA TRACK
First season test for the SEAT Sport team

With an impressive display of brains and brawn, the SEAT Sport team began their World Touring Car Championship 2006 preparation with two full days’ work on the Almeria track.

Three SEAT León WTCC units and 45 people were on hand at the tuning sessions with two clear goals in mind – get the three new team drivers used to the equipment, and testing the Yokohama tyres, which are this year’s technical novelty.

Last year’s official drivers Jordi Gené, Peter Terting and Rickard Rydell were joined at the opening tests by team back-ups Yvan Müller, who hails from the UK BTCC, and former WTCC teammates Gabrielle Tarquini and James Thompson.

The SEAT Sport engineering team, headed since the beginning of the winter season by Xavier Serra, have had to take on the considerable technical challenge of switching tyres from Michelin to Yokohama. The SEAT León underwent several modifications to adapt to the new tread, and these initial tests are crucial in order to plan the rest of the season’s preparation.

The new team drivers have also had a positive introduction to the 2006 season car, and Yvan Müller’s first words were especially significant. He said “I raced the SEAT Toledo at several races for a couple of seasons, and I’m impressed with the difference between that car and this SEAT León. Without a doubt it’s a brilliant expression of how the team has been able to improve their cars in two seasons.”

On the other hand, Rickard Rydell added that “this test session is especially important to get the new tyres right, and naturally it’s vital to kick off the preparation stage in order to be ready as soon as possible.”

Thompson, Terting and Tarquini test-drove on the second day with a similar programme – tuning and familiarisation with the car and the team. All three drove with the same technical background as their teammates. Gabrielle Tarquini said “this car has enormous potential; it’s less radical than I thought, it’s noble, and I think we’ll get a lot out of it.”

After Almeria, the team will join up once again on 9 and 10 February at the Circuit de Catalunya.

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
Car looks good. Did they put the shirts on straight out the packets though? You can see the fold lines still. ;)

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
Let's hope the Yokos are actually working now after that shambles at Vallelunga. Although I understand they have undergone a fair bit of testing in South Africa since then.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members