WTCC 2006 - Monza

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
FIRST FREE PRACTICE

The first practice session of the season has been completed and Jörg Müller posted the fastest time of 2:00.787 in his BMW 320si. The field is closely packed behind him however, with the top 12 times being within 1 second.

Salvatore Tavano set the second fastest lap at the wheel of his N.technology Alfa while the top three were completed by a SEAT, driven by Briton James Thompson. Behind was his team-mate Yvan Muller, 0.512 of a second off the pace, while Rydell posted the 6th best time.

Reigning champion, Andy Priaulx set the fifth best lap.

The fastest of the Chevrolet team of three was Robert Huff, 15th overall. Nicola Larini did not take part in the session due to an exhaust problem.

In the Independents' category it was Tom Coronel who completed the best lap of 2:01.751 to place him 12th overall. He was closely followed by Emanuele Naspetti who was 13th quickest.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Second Free Practice

Priaulx was the hottest of the field in the second free practice session for more than one reason. He set the fastest lap of 2:01.367 but suddenly stopped on the track after the chequered flag when a short circuit caused a fire inside his car.

Yvan Muller and Rickard Rydell ensured SEAT's presence in the top times by setting the 2nd and 4th quickest laps overall. They were 0.170 and 0.296 seconds behind Priaulx respectively.

However Alfa Romeo's Augusto Farfus managed to squeeze between them in third position with a lap in 2:01.653. While Alessandro Zanardi set the 5th fastest time 0.344 off the pace.

Nicola Larini was out on the track after missing the earlier session and headed the Chevrolet team with a time of 2:01.759 securing the 7th position overall.

Tom Coronel set again the best lap time of the independent competitors despite joining the session with just 9 minutes remaining.

The session was even closer than the first one, with 19 drivers covered by only one second.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Qualifying is on Eurosport LIVE from 2pm today. You can also watch this online with a new LIVE streaming service at

http://www.fiawtcc.com/

The WTCC races are tomorrow on Eurosport (from 2pm), where both races are shown back to back, with a 15 minute break between.

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I watched it. I predict a Y.Muller win tomorrow. :D Oh and a pileup into the Variante Alta with 30+ cars barrelling into turn one. :p

Watching Eurosport 2 now and the GT support race for the WTCC is on. A few SEAT Cupra GTs in there!

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Qualifying Results

The reigning World Touring Car champion will begin the new season from pole position. Andy Priaulx, with a lap of 2:00.254 secured prime position on the grid with just two minutes left on the clock.

Alongside him on the front row will be Yvan Muller for SEAT Sport who had posted a time 0.106 seconds slower off the pace in the early stages of the session.

The third best time of 2:00.561 was set by Augusto Farfus in his N.technology Alfa Romeo 156 with just 19 thousandths of a second denying him a spot alongside Priaulx on the front row.

Alessandro Zanardi emerged as the fastest of the Italian drivers, setting the 5th fastest lap in 2:00.751.

The best result from the Chevrolet men was 16th position set by Robert Huff. Nicola Larini will line up in 17th while Alain Menu achieved the 19th best time.

Emanuele Naspetti (GDL Racing BMW 320i) and Tom Coronel (GR Asia SEAT Toledo) had a battle to be the best independent. It was the former who eventually set the best time out of the two securing 14th position. There is no room for complacency however as the Dutchman's time of 2:01.206 places him 15th.

In fact, the top fifteen times were all within 9 tenths of a second indicating the potential for two breathtaking opening races for the 2006 season.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
IainW said:
I watched it. I predict a Y.Muller win tomorrow. :D Oh and a pileup into the Variante Alta with 30+ cars barrelling into turn one. :p

Watching Eurosport 2 now and the GT support race for the WTCC is on. A few SEAT Cupra GTs in there!

I agree, should be a craacking race, shame Yvan had a problem after he set his good time, i think he could of gone quicker. Shame for Thommo too, as they were playing tow my leader for the early part of that session, but Yvan wasnt around then to help Jimmy T :(

But 2nd and 6 th for them two, outstanding on their first weekend in the car, the Oreca boys have obviously got a good setup going.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
:) Bodes well for the rest of the season, they'll be very happy.

The WTCC Leon does have the addition of a flat floor, which im unsure whether or not the UK car has, doubtful as its an FIA concession.

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
WTCC just got interesting :)

flat floor should be good on faster circuits - I think that it has more drag than the BMW, but less lift

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members