WTF is going on with Insurance..

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
I'm a bit Baffled

I've just realised my insurance is up in a few weeks so thought I'd start to look around and to my amazement it's shot up by £300 about 45-50%!!!!!

I cannot understand this as although I have moved I'm still in the same postcode CM, I'll be 25 by then, have a years NCB and no accidents in the past 5 years & no convictions ever and now the cars Garaged and not on a drive!!!

Personally I though all these factors would reduce my insurance not up it????

anyone else having this trouble

brett

mk2 Golf 16v.
Oct 29, 2003
NW
It maybe due to the crime in your area, this happened with a mate of mine .. he now has 2yrs ncb is 26 and no points .. but ins has gone up £200 ... bit shocking really...

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
brett said:
It maybe due to the crime in your area, this happened with a mate of mine .. he now has 2yrs ncb is 26 and no points .. but ins has gone up £200 ... bit shocking really...

Can't imagine it's that in Brentwood to be honest, baring the usual Friday & Saturday 11pm warzone it has the best crime record in Essex!

Will just have to keep ringing around.

brett

mk2 Golf 16v.
Oct 29, 2003
NW
The best crime rate you are aware of anyway ... you dont know what figures the ins co's are using and at what scales they are measuring at etc... Seeing as all other factors would be working for you such as your age , more ncb .. it is being whittled down to only a number of factors ... one which would be area and crime rates..

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
brett said:
The best crime rate you are aware of anyway ... you dont know what figures the ins co's are using and at what scales they are measuring at etc... Seeing as all other factors would be working for you such as your age , more ncb .. it is being whittled down to only a number of factors ... one which would be area and crime rates..

Must be I spose as you say everything else works with me!

Got a couple of mates who work in Insurance think I'll have a word!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
They keep moving the goal posts... thought my insurance would go down when I was 21, it didn't. Thought it would definately go down when I got to 25, it didn't. At this rate I'll still be classed as a "young driver" when I'm old enough to get my bus pass!

I think a lot of it is to do with the area, pretty much knackered if you have a CF post code. My grandad has over 50 years NCD, no points, and still pays over £200 on a 1.4 Fiesta Zetec!

One of the lads in work uses his home address in Pembroke for insurance on his 1.4 Golf as it's over £100 cheaper than here in the Cardiff area with the same company.

Harv

Central brentwood is a Cm15 postcode , if your in this its a band d risk , they go from band a= low to f=glad i don't live there

the risk area's can be found in this list but the risk varies street to street in some cases

its why there is never any point saying my insurance is this whats your , because like for like comparisons are very rare .

the full list of risk by postcode for motor insurance is here

http://www.geocities.com/mpgcalc/postcodeRISK.html

jatinder

Looking for a job member
Aug 15, 2005
Clayhall, Essex
essex is quite bad for insurance, before i went to uni i lived there, then i moved to surrey and informed my insurers and my insurance went down by £300!! have you shopped round a fair bit? im with direct line and there quite cheap everywere else i was qouted 1300, with direct line its 800 quid.

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
Harv said:
Central brentwood is a Cm15 postcode , if your in this its a band d risk , they go from band a= low to f=glad i don't live there

the risk area's can be found in this list but the risk varies street to street in some cases

its why there is never any point saying my insurance is this whats your , because like for like comparisons are very rare .

the full list of risk by postcode for motor insurance is here

http://www.geocities.com/mpgcalc/postcodeRISK.html

Thanks for that Harv, Nice collection of motors by the way, do miss my old pug!
I actually do live in central brentwood but on the good side of the Railway so I'm CM14 which is no different than CM13 I used to live in??????

But I did live in a village that hadn't suffered from any car crime for over 18 years so that's prob why it's was so low.

Gonna keep looking will publish the results as I get em.

G

Last edited:

pint_of_stella

Sep 24, 2004
Woking, Surrey
A while back insurance on hot hatches went throught the roof - i think it might be happening again. The Celica is a higher insurance group but £200 cheaper. My only guess is becasue its a coupe - not a hatch.

Could be wrong

stuart_hatch

Poor Student
Aug 28, 2005
Glasgow
Feck me, im insurance group E* my insurance isnt that high though and its quite a nice area (few rangers and celtic players stay here) never had any car crime at all that i know of in my area :S

Grayboy

Jan 31, 2005
Beckenham
pint_of_stella said:
A while back insurance on hot hatches went throught the roof - i think it might be happening again. The Celica is a higher insurance group but £200 cheaper. My only guess is becasue its a coupe - not a hatch.

Could be wrong

Food for thought, well if this is true RIP Ibiza :cry: as I'm not paying over a grand for a car worth £3K that I only drive twice a week at most.

G

Leon the Diesel

Oct 26, 2001
Billericay, Essex
Visit site
Grayboy said:
I actually do live in central brentwood but on the good side of the Railway so I'm CM14 which is no different than CM13 I used to live in??????

But I did live in a village that hadn't suffered from any car crime for over 18 years so that's prob why it's was so low.

G

CM11 me thats Grupo B.
:p

So the hooligans live just over the border in "bandit country Brentwood" do they?
Nice!

Harv

Grayboy said:
Thanks for that Harv, Nice collection of motors by the way, do miss my old pug!

G

Yep the pugs great , twas bought as a winter run about and cost about 300 quid to run in over 2 years of use , mostly up and down the german autobahns for the first year as thats where it was living.

also have a leon now to which is why i'm about on here sometimes

oh and the yellow nail is now blue their are picks of both over on www.harvsport.com

Smithy

Old School
Jan 17, 2002
Hertfordshire
Most insurance companies will give you a better offer if you say you've had better quotes elsewhere ....why pay the price they advertise, I never have ;) Should reduce that little hike

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members