WTF is going on with my ABF tick over?

Solus

I'm no expert with cars and my 1999 16v Ibiza Cupra Gti is really starting to bug me. I've had it for nearly 10 years and its been good as gold and only done 61K with FSH.

October of last year I injured my back and couldn't drive which meant that the car was standing in my garage for a couple of months. I started it up now and again and it was running fine but the battery was shot so I replaced it and that's when the trouble started..

Car starts perfectly every-time but cuts out straight away unless you rev the nuts off it. I called out the RAC and they said it was the idle control valve so I replaced it with a s/hand one which had a 3 month warranty, rather than forking £300 for a new one. I checked it before I fitted it and it seems to be working fine.

Made no difference. The only way I can drive the car is if I adjust the throttle cable. The car is surging from 800 to 1500 revs constantly.

Put a fresh tank of fuel in the car and some STP. Took it for a long run averaging 80 down the motorway. Nowt..

Just had the car in the garage for 3 days. They've replaced the small hoses, checked for air leaks and cleaned out the throttle body, checked the ECU but they reckon its still the idle control valve and want to fit a new one for £200.

I don't think its the idle control valve. All the fuses are fine. I'm running out of ideas. You guys know your stuff - what else could it be?

I bow to your greater knowledge..

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i see after a good run you said 'nowt' so is it only playing up when cold or when hot ? or anything else specific to when it's messing about ?

just thinking although it was a lot worse i had the same symptoms with a coil breaking up

possibly worth checking/changing the inj temp sensor as it is a similar sounding fault when the ecu doesn't 'fuel up' for cold start and choke needed

that and of course air leaks - look 'under' the inlet manifold i think it's 2nd cyl for a pipe underneath too

Solus

Cheers dude

It doesn't make any difference if its hot or cold strangely enough..

I'll look into the injection temp sensor though. The garage changed some of the hoses (including the one you mentioned) and said they couldn't find any other air leaks. I was convinced it was a leaking hose myself. I guess I should change the one that goes to the idle control valve too.

I'm going to try changing the fuel pump relay and possibly cleaning/changing the fuel filter..

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
the hot/cold difference issues usually point to choke/temp sensor just another of the sad mk2's multitude of silly little things that can/do cause issues :)

as mentioned similar symptoms on the coil although mine was a bit more extreme at the end

any mk2 owner should have one if not have access to one for they will need one at some point :p

Solus

Yeah good call. The RAC guy checked the coil but I think I'll replace it anyway just in case..

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members