Xenon headlight aim adjustment.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
After driving another car with xenons last night I was made aware that my Exeo xenons seem to aim too low. I've always thought this but now I'm really sure they aren't right.

Is there a way for an MOT place to manually adjust them? There are what looks like screwdriver holes to adjust them but I'm not sure if this will **** up the AFL. I s'pose I could take it to the dealers and get them to check it out but they will probably charge me as it's an "adjustment" and adjustments aren't normally covered by the warranty.

Any Ideas Exeo people?

Last edited:

mcdonald

According to Elsawin there are 2 adjustment screws on top of each headlight.
1. for adjusting height
2. for lateral adjustment

Staying in front of the car and looking at the left headlight (passenger side in the UK), the inner/left screw is for height adjustment and the outer/right screw is for the lateral adjustment.
The arrangement of the adjuster screws on the right-hand headlight is symmetrically opposite.

This article might be useful too: http://www.swankmonkey.com/vw/jetta/2006/xenon_adjustment/

Last edited:

mcdonald

Yes, I think so.

If it's only height adjustment you can do it yourself.
1. Park the car leveled appr. 10m from a (brick) wall.
2. Mark a spot for each light on the wall
3. Mark the original position of the adjuster screws (so you can undo it in case it goes wrong)
4. Adjust the height carefully by looking at the mark from point 2 and the light.

Think you've to adjust you're left headlight only. The right one is more tricky because you can blind other drivers more easily if the beam is pointing too high.

Reactions: Nath.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Just checked at my local supermarket carpark by parling 10m away from a brick wall and the beam pattern was clearly (a lot) lower on the drivers side, My wife also parkred the Astra 10m away from the same wall and both headlights were pretty much level and pretty much the same height as the Exeo passenger headlight.

I have adjusted the drivers side with an allen key to get it almost level with the passengers side (2 complete turns). I've been for a drive with My wife in the astra in front and she says there is no dazzle and then I went for a blast down some country lanes and the lighting is way better. Nobody has flashed me as yet and if they do I will be off to an MOT place to get them checked and adjusted on the machine.

Thanks Mcdonald I will be repping you :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.